Pretoria danger areas

Evan Andreou

I contacted the Record newspaper and they will have a look at this thread and I hope they can publish an article and also raise awareness and with a bit of luck involve the metro. The metro police could maybe do some sweeping with their horses.  They have done that in the past in other areas of Pretoria.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone up the back there in a long time mainly because I cannot get up there anymore ,  but when I use to be able to cycle up the dirt road I almost always  ran into a SAP vehicle every-time driving on that back road ! What happened , they found another place to test their vehicles climbing abilities ?

I haven't gone up the back there in a long time mainly because I cannot get up there anymore ,  but when I use to be able to cycle up the dirt road I almost always  ran into a SAP vehicle every-time driving on that back road ! What happened , they found another place to test their vehicles climbing abilities ?

Propably don't have a vehicle anymore.

Hi there guys. 

Good to see that there are so many of you willing to get involved.

I would like to inform you that from an official meeting was held today between Tshwane Nature conservation (Groenkloof Nature Reserve), Friends of Klapperkop and the neighbouring estates around the Klapperkop reserve.

In the short term the following has been and will be done:

- Guards have been posted at the gates of Klapperkop since the beginning of the week. People entering must also now sign in.

-  A team from Groenkloof have sweeped the area to look for any indication if vagrants have been overnigting, which they have found not to be the case.

- Regular patrols will be now be done over the weekends, specifically over peak training hours, ie early morning and late afternoon.

Long terms plans will be made soon and we will keep everyone informed.

We are all very passionate about keeping Klapperkop a safe destination for cyclist and runners and appreciate any feedback.

If you would like to get in contact for more information or would like to get involved to assist, please contact City of Tshwane Nature Conservation - David Boshoff at 082 789 1399 or mail him at davidb at tshwane dot co dot za

My 2c. The gate at the bottom at George Storrar is not doing much. Looked at it today, it's easy to get underneath and bet a bike out as well. I think the gates intergrity should be restored.....no getting under it.

Thanks for the initiative and work .KK is my backyard and I ride there 3 to 4 x a week .About a year ago I noticed the guards had left ,then I see no more patrols and noticed some vagrants in the bush .It was only a matter of time when the trouble starts again I told myself and I was right .There was even some illegal dumping starting again .I am willing to help in any way to keep this the best outdoor spot in PTA   that it is

My 2c. The gate at the bottom at George Storrar is not doing much. Looked at it today, it's easy to get underneath and bet a bike out as well. I think the gates intergrity should be restored.....no getting under it.

Hi Evolve,

That gate was discussed at the meeting and something will probably be done to secure that area. There was discussions about adding barbedwire there. Heinrich will be able to confirm the final plans for that specific gate.

From FAcebook:

10574411_772810086104425_653663873079066

Hi all friends and family. Some of you know what happened to me over the last few days and others not. This is just a quick overview: On Sunday 14 Sept 2015, I went for a recovery MTB Ride after an awesome Crater Cruise on Saturday. About 5kms from my house in the open area in front of Cornwall Hill, two black males attacked me very unexpectantly. I fell off my bike and they forced me onto the ground. I did not know whether they were armed or not and did not resist. Told them they can take everything. They tied my hands behind my back and then told me to walk into the bush. I asked why and told them to just take the bike and let me go. They then blatantly told me that the bike does not mean anything and that today I am going to die. I then moved back to the road and the cable ties broke loose. They started to assault me and hit me with rocks against the one side of my head and back of my head. Luckily I still had my helmet on. They were like animals. I am not sure how long this pursued (probably 5 to 10 minutes) - will spare you the detail. They then suddenly ran for the bike and left me. Closeby two guys were also cycling and they had a vehicle / kombi with them (George and Schalk). They assisted me to get home and to Emergencies at Unitas. The staff helped me immediately, went for Cat Scan and luckily I had no skull fractures. A lot of stitches later, I went into surgery to clean all the wounds (really awesome deep sleep for an hour) and then went to high care for the night to get my kidneys clean from all the toxins (fight and flight). Monday AM I was declared fit to go except for swelling in my left hand. This turned out to be a small fracture. I went home Monday PM.

The swelling is now almost back to normal. I have a nice blue eye and yellow skin, but think my mind is back on track. Had some trauma councelling yesterday.

I would just like to thank everyone for their assistance and support during this experience. In particular Thanks to my wonderful wife Sanri Oosthuizen and kids and family. My best friend Willem Groenewald and his family for being there for me and Hannes Viljoen for getting the medical stuff sorted and caring. There were so many people that sent best wishes and made food for us this week. Outsurance was awesome to help sort out the claim. Everyone at work (MMI / Momentum / Metropolitan / Multiply) were extremely supportive. Thanks to everyone.

During a time like this you obviously reflect a lot. All I can say for now is that we need to live each day to its fullest and appreciate our family and friends. I am glad to still be here. Please do not send me stuff about 'this might be some sort of test for me and I need to learn from it' - that is total crap. I will obviously learn from this, but it was a chance event. We should not let things like this infringe on our right to freedom and make us live in fear. I will make use of this opportunity to see how we can make our country a safer place, or rather go. The freedom and safety of my family is very important - even more after such an event.

Thanks again everyone.

10452373_791880387530728_815233147698898
10665182_791880450864055_462150704455287
10352287_791880514197382_113496608132839
10399447_791880544197379_780420306847826
10710659_791880594197374_381954654168110

•  
    Jan Ehlers, Lee-Ann DuToit, Carel Bezuidenhoud and 14 others like this.

Wow, I am really glad you are okay, and truly sorry that you had to go through such an ordeal. All the best for your recovery going forward!

Thank you for the Klapperkop initiative. :thumbup:

Very scary about Irene/Cornwall Hill. Hope the community can pull together like the Groenkloof guys.

Hi Evolve,

That gate was discussed at the meeting and something will probably be done to secure that area. There was discussions about adding barbedwire there. Heinrich will be able to confirm the final plans for that specific gate.

Hi Evolve,

Yes, this was discussed. The gate issues is being addressed, specifically making sure that they won't be able to get through underneath.

Re Klapperkop attempted robbery.

Drove down George Storrar today, on corner with Herbert Baker, inside the fence, close to the spot where the attempted robbery took place last Saturday (as I understood) was at least one vagrant sitting under a tree. I'm guessing those vagrants call that spot home.

shocking attack !

if they want to steal the bike take it no need for violence especially if the victim cooperates !

I for one will be carrying pepper spray from now on !

Spray and moer !