Wheel 'Truing'

Gumpole

On Saturday I rode through a pothole Dead on the way to the clubride.

had a massive spped wobble and thought I had broken something. After stoppeing, removing front wheel and checking everything it seemed fine.

But then 80km later someone behind me told me that my back whel was loose.

It has about 5mm play from left to right. I released the skewer and tightened it again - no luck. All the spokes seem tight.

Any advice or recomendations for a bike shop that can straighten wheels (Fulcrum wheels).

The shop needs to be Linden, Morningside, Illovo or Dunkeld as I dont have time to go to the E rand or PTA!!

The shop needs to be Linden' date=' Morningside, Illovo or Dunkeld as I dont have time to go to the E rand or PTA!!
[/quote']

How about Linden Cycles or Morningside Cycles or Illovo Cycles or Dunkeld Cycles.

A correctly tensioned wheel should have little or no lateral play. Have the wheels checked and ensure that the person who retensions the wheel uses a spoke tensiometer. This story about feeling or plucking the spokes and listening to the pitch is hogwash. Leave that to the piano tuners. It is like a doctor with a funnel trying to do a Electro Cardiograph to determine the functioning of your vital organs. Spoke tension is also vital to your health. A wheel collapsing can cause a verrrry bad taste in your mouth..... and it might be the last taste you have!!!!!!

i noticed on the edenvale yest that my front has quiet a bit of play, this could deff be the cause of a speed wobble at 60km/h plus?strange thing its a new bike 500km on.

Ja Oom I agree, that is why I want someone who is good to fiddle with the wheel, so....

Linden OR Morningside OR Illovo OR Dunkeld - who has had any wheel building/ truing experiences with any of them?

If I dont get a reply by tomorrow I will just go to Linden - they have been excellent in the past with othere stuff.

go to Slipstream Cycles - they stock Fulcrum and helped me out a couple of times before with my wheels.

they can also true these wheels not problem.

sound to me to be more of a bearing problem than the spokes & the fulcrum wheels have a rather complicated system.

edit: [gumpole --> clean out our messages!]

Dr. Seuss2007-02-12 07:18:15

go to Slipstream Cycles - they stock Fulcrum and helped me out a couple of times before with my wheels.

they can also true these wheels not problem.

sound to me to be more of a bearing problem than the spokes & the fulcrum wheels have a rather complicated system.

ahhh gawd, sounds expensive and slow Dead. do you have contact details?

PM empty Sleepy
Gumpole2007-02-12 07:26:10

gummy, go to linden. a buddy of mine and amateurs kept breaking spokes on the tandem until linden sorted the wheels out. never another problem. they fixed my wheel after i broke a spoke last year in June and i've had no issues since then (and i have a tendancy to aim for cateyes and potholes....)