BBB Triple compound brake pads

AndreZA

After a discussion a few ago with Slowpoke at Cat-i about brake pads, I decided to replace my 105s that's done about 18000km. I saw the BBB triple compound pads and thought to myself they look interesting and should try them. They only cost about R52 for 4 pads. Got home and later the evening infront of the TV I changed them. These were the pads only and not the complete brake shoe. Undoing the old pad and fitting the new one in the shoe was really easy. Before I installed them back on the bike I gave them a quick light rub with sand paper. I had to release some brake cable as the new pads were almost double the size of the once they replaced.

On Saturday's ride was when the amazement arrived. These pads really braked well and with no squeeling at all. Even in some wet sections I did not hear the normal "grinding" sound you normally hear.

I will still have to see what milage I will get out of these but if I get 10000km I will be happy.

I also replaced mine a few thousand km's ago and find that they seem to be wearing down quicker than the original Shimano ones are. It doesnt look like I will get anywhere near the same mileage out of these BBBabies.

18000 km on one set of brakepads! That is quite something!

I like the BBB 3-compound pads too.  I use them on my MTB.  Good powerful, controlled braking and no squealing.

I'd like to try KoolStop pads, but I can't find them in Cape Town bike shops.  They have a reputation for being the best brake pads around.
ZeroPlay2007-02-14 07:28:52

i got koolstop's & they work very well - especially in the wet.  replaced my ultegra pads with these - got them from fritz pienaar.

the dura ace one's on the other bike seems to work just fine.

The Shimano & Swiss Stop pads are expensive!

Or are the BBB pads really cheap in comparison?

i.e. do you get what you pay for?

I'm using Koolstops but find that the front pads squeal terribly. Back ones are fine though. Confused

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I will not be able to finish this test as I have sold the groupset that had the repalcement pads on.

I also just replaced my shimano Mtb Pads after that Tokia mub bath with BBB pads, will see how the hold up, done one race with them so far and all is good.Tongue

Marius2007-05-08 02:48:21

Damn - I have been waiting with baited breath on the results of your little experiment!!!