Responsibilities of race organizer

BaieSukkel

Sunday's Joburg City Triathlon......................

Started late because the swim markers weren't in place. That's a minor management lapse, but surely the bike route (4x10k laps) could have been swept before the race?!

There were two big broken glass spots, and I observed more than a couple of people changing tubes. In one spot a unbroken glass bottle was right on the cycle line for all the laps, joined by a water bottle for 3 laps later on!!

The marshalls never lifted a finger to right any of these.......

No refreshment point on the bike - I don't mind but what of those 2 hour riders?

One refreshment point on the run - water only.

I got the feeling that just about everything was sponsored, and as little money as possible was spent on the race (they didn't even bother to have medals made).

This was the last time I spent R180- on one of these!

Now that's off my chest!

Interesting!

I wonder if Cycling SA has any guidelines or a list of standards or do they just grant a permit (or whatever they do for a race to be given CSA affiliation) without ensuring the race meets basic standards or requirements?

I find it amazing how there's never any official comment from CSA about anything in these forums.

In the Western Cape, Pedal Power provides fun ride organisers with a "bible" of guidelines that covers everything from suggested placement of water points to managing the Cokes at the end and contacting the media.

It would surprise me if this sort of information isn't pretty universal. The thing is actually getting people to read this stuff and then act on it.

I find it amazing how there's never any official comment from CSA about anything in these forums.

Hang on to that thought.  Kremetart is one of these days.

1) No refreshment point on the bike - I don't mind but what of those 2 hour riders?

2) One refreshment point on the run - water only.

3) I got the feeling that just about everything was sponsored' date=' and as little money as possible was spent on the race (they didn't even bother to have medals made).

[/quote']

1) I don't recall any tri having rfreshements on the bike, except for half IM and Ironman.

2) the one refreshement on the run - every 2.5km - I think thats reasonable and I come around every 20min or so.

3) apparently the series have nice price money

would you really not go ever again to these? I think thats a bit harsh! Remember, triathlons(especially Std distane) are still growing. ad std events are tough, its harder than 100km race 2hrs - 3.5 hrs. So not so many people do compete in them, so theres not so much exposure, and this is the first std tri series, so give the guys a chance. I'd say well done to Mark Price and the rest who organised this, they started something, and maybe you can forward your suggestions/complains to them. I don't think anything taken on the first time round will be a 100% success.

1) No refreshment point on the bike - I don't mind but what of those 2 hour riders?

2) One refreshment point on the run - water only.

3) I got the feeling that just about everything was sponsored' date=' and as little money as possible was spent on the race (they didn't even bother to have medals made).

[/quote']

1) I don't recall any tri having rfreshements on the bike, except for half IM and Ironman.

2) the one refreshement on the run - every 2.5km - I think thats reasonable and I come around every 20min or so.

Maybe he is not that fit.....Tongue

Maybe he is not that fit.....Tongue

I'm not that fit either...Shocked  I'm probalry one of the worst runners in a triathlon, but a better bike/swimmer!

You must be already *^%(%@## on the bike when you want water on the bike already because 1.5L om the bike is more than enough for 100km....and the swim is really not THAT bad or long.....not to even talk about the run.....LOL

I never could have water on the run...just poured it over me that is all!!
AuctionLamb2007-02-13 06:52:07

Baie Sukkel - have you taken these issues up with the organisers. If is was a sanctioned triathlon how about dropping TSA a email.

Hi all thanks for reading my Rant&Rave!

I didn't do the post for myself only though.............

I actually picked this up from others after the race - I do share some of the complaints, like the glass on the road! (I also had to remove a nail from one of my tubbies afterwards - lucky not to get a flat!)

When I finished my run there were some people still cycling, surely a bottle of water would have been nice for these riders? I hardly finished what I had with me, but there were some big "Ooms" on MTB's that weren't doing so great!

After I finished the run I watched some of the people still running, some were taking strain! Two people came down hard in front of me, slipping on sand that was left on a 180 deg turn towards start/finish - those were two I know of..............

Maybe TSA will be of some help....I'll try that.

- As far as my fitness is concerned..........I actually prefer the longer distances. Running is not my forte, but I did the half distance Ultra in vdBijl the week before and came off the bike placed in the first 50 - like I said running is not my game....................

We go to a race to race , if I have to go to the organizer after the fact to complain then I find it much easier to just not do the race again . It is actaully very simple and I got a few on my list already , if in a few years somebody tells me that they got their act together I will go and try it again .

DR - you have a point - but remember the organisers will not know where to make improvements if they do not get any feedback from the people who actually do the race.