Mountain Bike

miss V

I want to buy a new mtb, since my current one is a bit... run down. Looking to spend around R10 000, can anyone make a suggestion?

ps It has to be good looking... ladies have to look good on their bikes Embarrassed

miss v - can't help you with the mtb advice but I just have to say that I agree with you 100%.  Ladies have to look good on their bikes.  Guys just don't understand.Tongue

Apology accepted, my bike would be mightily upset upon hearing that she doesn't look good!

TitusTi2007-02-14 01:49:08

I did the same exericse a few weeks ago and my conclusion was that the GT Zaskar Expert Disc at 10k was the best deal. Phone around you will get that price (not at fritz pienaar though) if you pay cash.

Everyone absolutely raved about the geometry of the frame and for the money you will not do much better in terms of components.

Specifications<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

Color(s):

Black

Size(s):

S, M, L, X

Frame:

GT design hydroformed Kinesis Superlight custom tube-set Machined Head tube, disc compatible

Fork:

Rock Shox Recon 351 Air fork with 80 mm of travel, aluminum steerer and rebound adjust, no bosses

Crankset:

Shimano Deore LX, 2 piece design, 44,32,22

Bottom Bracket:

Shimano outboard oversize bearings

Pedals:

Crank Bros Candy C

Front Derailleur:

Shimano LX

Rear Derailleur:

Shimano New LX non-rapid rise

Shifters:

Shimano 9 speed trigger

Cassette:

Shimano nine speed 11-32

Chain:

Shimano 9 speed

Rims:

WTB Speed Disc double wall

Tires:

Kenda Karma, 26x 2.0 120 TPI with Kevlar bead and DTC compound

Front Hub:

Shimano LX for Centerlock

Rear Hub:

Shimano LX for Centerlock

Spokes:

DT Swiss 15 guage

Nipples:

DT Swiss

Front Brake:

Shimano LX Hydraulic with 160mm rotor

Rear Brake:

Shimano LX Hydraulic with 160mm rotor

Brake Levers:

Shimano LX Hydraulic Separate

Handlebar:

Truvativ XR cross county 6061 Handlebar with 6 degree sweep, 680 mm width

Stem:

Truvativ XR 4 bolt cold forged stem with laser etching

Grips:

GT Lock Down

Headset:

FSA Threadless

Saddle:

SDG Bel Air

Seat Post:

SL Alloy Micro adjust

Seat Clamp:

GT Alum QR

cheveley2007-02-14 01:54:24

Correct.. have to look good ..and can't be to SPECIALIZED.

Ladies Specific geometry

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2007/bikes/Epic_Comp_Wmn_Sliver_d.jpg

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2007/bikes/SJ_HT_Wmn_Silver_d.jpg

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2007/bikes/SJ_FSR_Comp_Wmn_Blk_d.jpg

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2007/bikes/SJ_FSR_Exp_Wmn_Bronze_d.jpg

Afraid those beuts will cost a sight more than R10000 Swissvan. There are a number of ladies specific bikes, Scott and Trek also have a range. Not sure if you want a DS, because for the price you're looking at there not many if any.

Afraid those beuts will cost a sight more than R10000 Swissvan. There are a number of ladies specific bikes' date=' Scott and Trek also have a range. Not sure if you want a DS, because for the price you're looking at there not many if any.

[/quote']

Hmm I usually ignore the sign infront, at least untill the bug has bitten then its to late

The stumpjumper (the great original mtb name) hard tail (thats the silver ht) and FSR XC (Light blue dual sus) should come in about R10 000.

miss v - can't help you with the mtb advice but I just have to say that I agree with you 100%.  Ladies have to look good on their bikes.  Guys just don't understand.Tongue

Excuse me!?AngryWink

20070214_022145_Ride_034.jpg

Cue DR - 'that looks like a Raleigh!" OK so not!

Like you said before Minty, why not just have a link to that photo each time this discussion comes up? Save you and TI a lot of time!

Look at Merida and Gary Fisher as well.  Don't know the prices, but they make good bikes.  Trek is a bike with a good name (or so they say) and look at GT as well.  Go to the cycling stores and look at the bikes.  Then decided. 

But you have to look at what you want to do.  My next bike will be a duel susser for my back, but you could oppt for a hard tail.  Depends on what you wanna do....

Mmm thanks Swissvan, i should look into it then. Always thought Specialized being quality you pay a bit more. i'm Looking for a DS.

Miss V, if you can get a back copy of Bicycling (i think it was Dec) they had a list of recommended bike prices , while last months mag had a section dedicated to WSD things. Also dont write off Merida, the world MTB womens champ rides one.

Cue DR - 'that looks like a Raleigh!" OK so not!

Like you said before Minty' date=' why not just have a link to that photo each time this discussion comes up? Save you and TI a lot of time!

[/quote']

Ja BB....i tell you if people would just listen to me. They're a bit slow! Wink