Anriette Schoeman knocked down

Thug

I've cycled on the same stretch of road that Anriette was knocked down on.  It's a wide flat road with a broad shoulder...

Thank you Alida.  That clears up the issue.

Spinnekop, there certainly are sections of Cape Rd in PE that are not suitable for cycling.  The original article gave no clue as to the nature of the road, and I thought that it was a relevant question.  The first part of my post should have made it clear that I was not assigning blame to either party; it was there largely for your benefit. 

You may choose to cycle on any and every road that the law says that you may.  For my part, I will try and stick to roads that I feel offer an adequate safety margin.

FWIW, if the N1 is a known accident zone and you choose to drive it nonetheless, then yes, you should accept that you are putting yourself at increased risk of an accident.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just my imagination or does the normal motorist appear to have more patience or a higher tolerance level for the black dudes riding their "vegetable" bikes than for the the white okes in their lycra on their 50G bikes?

Often see guys taking more time and care to pass one of these guys that looks like it's his only mode of transport and then have zero tolerance for the guy out trying to keep fit who has his BMW parked in the garage.  What's the deal!  Jealousy or guilt?

That is bad. As an aside and consequences for actions i see the guy who knocked down and killed those 2 runners in March last year is due to be sentenced today. Will like to see what he gets for it.

Sentencing has been postponed....!

That is bad. As an aside and consequences for actions i see the guy who knocked down and killed those 2 runners in March last year is due to be sentenced today. Will like to see what he gets for it.

Sentencing has been postponed....!

until when? Seems they usually take their time on these freakin cases.
cervelo2007-02-15 05:49:19

Way to go cervelo!

Do you have any other irrrelevant, emotive "facts" you'd care to throw into the pot?

A conspiracy theory, perhaps?

Cervelo is it not strange that it has taken five years for the Waterfkloof 4 story to finally reach a verdict and we have to hear what wonderful kids these murderers are,why bring this topic to the forum? Are you tring to justify your presence and hatred towards us non whites?

Are you aware of the skin colour of the driver that killed my friends in the accident you refer to ?

Let me be quite clear here:

Cyclists have every right to be on the road' date=' and should be treated with respect and courtesy and respect by motorists.  There is no indication in the story posted, and I am not alleging that either cyclist was doing anything wrong.

But is it possible that Cape Rd in PE is not a good road for cyclists to be training on?  This was apparently Schoeman's 2nd incident on this road in six months, which is why I ask, and I am asking this as a true question and not a rhetorical one - can a PE Hubber help out here?
[/quote']

Bikemonster, I appreciate that you are trying to take a balanced view on this and other incidents but the road that you are going down (excuse the pun) is a very dangerous one in principle.

We all accept that certain classes of roads are not suitable for cyclists or any other slow moving vehicles and it is illegal for us to be on them. But the day that we start to ACCEPT that certain specific roads are not suitable for cyclists is the day that road cycling will commence it's slow death. The Rooi Els road is a good example. This was deemed an unsafe road for cyclists but the root cause of the problem is

a) incorrect and unsafe speed limits

b) inconsiderate and dangerous motorist actions.

Yes, everyone has to make personal choices about which roads are simply not safe enough for them at certain times of the day but this is a consequence of the situation that we are faced with. I don't think that it does cycling any good to be accepting the principle that any single road is unsafe. Let's identify why it is unsafe and then fight to have the causes remedied.

Windbreaker2007-02-15 06:07:26

Is it just my imagination or does the normal motorist appear to have more patience or a higher tolerance level for the black dudes riding their "vegetable" bikes than for the the white okes in their lycra on their 50G bikes?

Often see guys taking more time and care to pass one of these guys that looks like it's his only mode of transport and then have zero tolerance for the guy out trying to keep fit who has his BMW parked in the garage.  What's the deal!  Jealousy or guilt?

Never thought I'd say this but my experience has been that particularly taxi drivers seem more considerate of cyclists, how's that for a scary thought?

It is very bad news and wish her a speedy recovery but reading the article I think thet journalist must get his fact straight. For starters Anriete is not a "phenomenon". She's got a good team that make sure she wins and no one else in the team. And secondly you train  fro the Argus, you don't "practice".

Mampara2007-02-15 06:15:32

Never thought I'd say this but my experience has been that particularly taxi drivers seem more considerate of cyclists' date=' how's that for a scary thought?
[/quote']

I have a similar impression of taxi's of late. I also get the impression that most non-sporting cyclists (black or white or green for that matter) do get more consideration from most motorists and I guess that it has something to do with the reputation that us sporting cyclists have. Whether this reputation is earned or not is another debate but we have to deal with it. So be considerate & polite to motorists and you'll start to see a difference.

CryCryThis is very sad, anyone got some new info on how serious her injuries are yet?

Ai, hope she's up and well before the Argus (there's not much time thoughOuch)

Now I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what this "rare" bike of hers is!

Aren't they still riding with the Fuji's? Pearly white ones, but i think her frame geometry's a bit different than the rest (plus the fact that she rides a very small frame)

wolverine, i tend to agree with you. mas to a certain other person's (name starts with a "c") comments... hmmmm, can he explain why it seems the worst drivers in terms of lack of respect for cyclists and runners seem to be w.... middle-aged "people" driving 4x4's????