TDB Stage Race

Jean-Jay

Not much to report, yesterday saw the hill climb TT up to Taal Monument inside Paarl, what a tough climb, the first time i have ever been up there and boy it is quite a bast@#Rd!

Some of the top csc riders were riding around the 8 min mark up to the top, i did not ask what my time was when i got up there but i reckon somewhere around the 10:30 mark is realistic Confused.

Today sees 120 km of racing in and around Paarl.

Well Done Toohot... have a good ride today, and I'll see you there tomorrow.

Craig..... good result.

thats not a good turnout....which is a pity as it might deter other sponsors. but it seems its the same story every year.....multiple events are announced at very short notice. What is happening with the PPA vets tour , i heard it would take place after the Argus????

Are there 20+ vets' date=' or are they all riding together today?[/quote']

Cannot see that a lot of VETS doing it because they have all day jobs....most elites just ride their bicycles so no need for them to ask for leave. Confused

Cannot see that a lot of VETS doing it because they have all day jobs....most elites just ride their bicycles so no need for them to ask for leave. Confused

You wanna rephrase that! I can't ride due to a day job!

You wanna rephrase that! I can't ride due to a day job!

No....you can ride if you have a job.  Just do not see a lot of people that has "professional" jobs would take leave for the TDB.

Considering the short warning and limited advertising, 52 entries is not that bad for an event which requires taking leave for.

Without meaning anything more than giving constructive critisism, a lot more could have been done to advertise the event. It was advertised on the Hub first, and only a short while ago on the Pedalpower and CSA websites. But on none of them, nor the Maties website and the TDB website is anything more available than the entry form.

I wanted to go and see the racing today, but still don't know what the route is.

Up until yesterday evening there was nothing on the Falconsports website, but the results were up in no time with the promise of today's results as soon as available. Things are thus looking up.

I really think that the two most important aspects with regards to advertising, are adequate notice beforehand, and giving as much detail as possible about the route and entries and eventually results. This raises public interest and gives the sponsors fair coverage.

Luckily I know where the Perdeberg circuit is, and I will be there tomorrow.

Considering the short warning and limited advertising' date=' 52 entries is not that bad for an event which requires taking leave for. [/quote']

I agree...not that bad....imagine the potential.....proper marketing and it fell on a long weekend!!Wink

When is this long weekend? Thanks for the constructive critisism regarding marketing. We handed out entry forms with all the stage details at the 99er, last league race in CT, Sharon did at killarney previous Wednesday. With a limited budget we thought that targeting the top riders - elites. vets, sub vets, A-C bunches, as well as THE HUB we'll catch most people.

I also posted something on the vets email group.

Today was quite stressful for me when the cops didnt do their job well in the last 10k's coming from Wellington. At the end well done esp Willemse for riding away at the end. Tomorrow start at the Paardeberg Winery, same road as Boland Landbouskool 8h30. 2 laps of 40k's. Will probably move kermesse a few minutes earlier to 14h45 to accomodate guys racing in JHB Sunday.

From my side, well done to the organisers (No, I am not patting myself on the back, I was only there working for the guys that did all the hard work putting it together, Boland Cycling). It is great to have this event back on the Western Cape Calendar and I can only see it growing over the next few years.

A bit more marketing, and I can see the numbers growing very rapidly. The Elite group will certainly get bigger and the veterans category has huge growth potential.

Look forward to working there again next year.

Full results on the Falconsports results page.