Bike Shop: Bad Service!!

DRIVETRAIN

smiley7.gif

Very dissatisfied: My local bike shop assempbled the new groupset for me..collected the bike & I specifically asked: are U sure every thing's tight / greased / working & tested ?? no worries I paid & took the bike.

Went out yesterday for 80k's...bike was a going very well at first, on my way home I hear a strange rattle..unusual I thought -- I discovered when I looked down that the 52 ring is wobbling, stopped immediately & noticed one of the bolts fell out & the other 4 are hanging on a thread.. I was pissed.smiley7.gif

To add insult to an almost an injury I cannot shift into 2 of my gears for climbing; smiley7.gif

Now I ask is this service / how is this possible  etc etc etc ???? The bike's in the car & it's going back today - I want an explanation & I want it fixed - & It will be the last time they see me !!! providing it's fixed right this

time !!!

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Hi Drivetrain

You said "I want an explanation & I want it fixed - & It will be the last time they see me".

While I fully understand your anger, give the LBS a chance to respond.  Every person and every business makes mistakes.  What separates the good from the bad is how they handle those mistakes.  Give the LBS the chance to make you happy.  If they don't take that opportunity, then give them both barrels!

smiley7.gif

Now I ask is this service / how is this possible  etc etc etc ???? The bike's in the car & it's going back today - I want an explanation & I want it fixed - & It will be the last time they see me !!! providing it's fixed right this

time !!!

"DTThumbs%20Up"

All they say is "SORRY! We will fixid it immidiatly" and then they follow it up by saying "Come back if there is any futher problems, but there will be none and see ya soon"

Where was this?

the screws on your chainrings can get loose. it's mot nice but it has happeed to me twice. both times on a bike i've done, let's say 2000 km before, without any problems and without touching the screws.

very stupid if that happens on your first ride. perhaps they weren't tightened properly or they just tend to gett loose. use locktite in that case.

Big%20smile

The first time I let them fit my fork..it got scratched --- sorry was what I got ... I gave them a chance, went back with a few other nigglies...fine no worries I over looked it.

This time sorry will not cut it - I could have got hurt or fallen not true ?? I'll give them the floor to explain but that's it. Nice people I know but hey it's not on !!!

'DTThumbs%20Up"

The Legen I serviced my bike many times myself - never use locktite just cleaned them / applied a touch of grease & tightened - not one of my bolts ever worked loose !!!

What I'm trying to say is that this is a new groupset that does not come all tightened mate ... anyway I'll take it in & hear what they have to say !!

"DT"

Every day after your ride (better because if anything is missing or loose or needs replacement) Do the quick check with your Allen key to see if everything is tight. Check your wheels for trueness, check your tyres for cuts and nicks, shift through your gears, check your brakeblocks for wear. Every once in a while remove the brakeblocks(very serious cyclist has cartridge replaceable pads) to check for foreign objects. Spin your wheels and listen for roughness. Prevention is better than sitting with loose chainringbolts. I do not trust mechanics who normally are more worried about the lotto results or what the latest soccer/cricket/rugby score is!!!!!!

Don't be too rough on the LBS.  It's not standard practice to check to tighten chainring bolts as part of installing a groupset.  After all, they didn't put the chainrings on the crank spider - you gave it to them like that (or they got it from their supplier like that).

With my FSA Team carbon cranks (road, double), I found the bolts to be quite loose (i.e. not torqued up very tight) when new, but with some loctite-compound on them to stop them from getting looser.  When I tightened them up (broke the loctite), the Alu "nut" part cracked on most of them, causing some horrible creaking when riding.  I replaced the nut parts with ones off an old Campag Chorus crankset, and have had no problems since.  FSA knows that low weight sells, so they're pushing the limits on getting their crank bolts/nuts light.  I imagine Shimano and Campag can be torqued up pretty tight, though - they don't tend to push the limits as much as the smaller manufacturers, I think.

Every day after your ride (better because if anything is missing or loose or needs replacement) Do the quick check with your Allen key to see if everything is tight. Check your wheels for trueness' date=' check your tyres for cuts and nicks, shift through your gears, check your brakeblocks for wear. Every once in a while remove the brakeblocks(very serious cyclist has cartridge replaceable pads) to check for foreign objects. Spin your wheels and listen for roughness. Prevention is better than sitting with loose chainringbolts. I do not trust mechanics who normally are more worried about the lotto results or what the latest soccer/cricket/rugby score is!!!!!![/quote']

And don't forget to check the screws on your cleats as well, otherwise you will find yourself removing your foot from your shoe and trying to take the cleat off the pedal when the screw falls out!

I can understand Drivetrain's frustration. Saw a guy stuck on the side of the road on Sat. He collected his new bike just the day before, paid 25G for the thing, but the chain broke. The cycling shop used the wrong masterlink and -pin. We helped him out. Knew that spare pin was gonna come in handy one day...

I can understand Drivetrain's frustration. Saw a guy stuck on the side of the road on Sat. He collected his new bike just the day before' date=' paid 25G for the thing, but the chain broke. The cycling shop used the wrong masterlink and -pin. We helped him out. Knew that spare pin was gonna come in handy one day...[/quote']

all hail the sram powerlink......

I can understand Drivetrain's frustration. Saw a guy stuck on the side of the road on Sat. He collected his new bike just the day before' date=' paid 25G for the thing, but the chain broke. The cycling shop used the wrong masterlink and -pin. We helped him out. Knew that spare pin was gonna come in handy one day...[/quote']

all hail the sram powerlink......

Only on 9 speed rock, the 10 speed one is use once only.

Heard you came down wif a helluva sickness?

Brought on by lack of sleep and lack of cycling no doubt!
MichH2007-02-20 04:18:50