Setting Gears - 10 spd Shimano

louiso

I need some help - I cannot get my gears to shift smoothly. Moving the chain to a bigger ring is as smooth as can be but moving down to a smaller ring, I just cannot get right. I have now changed the cable, tried another wheelset, cleaned the rear derailleur, lubricated it again etc - but still the same problem. Anybody with some good advice - what else can I do.

Turn the barrel on the top of the rear deraileur away from the wheel to adjust shifting to a smaller cog and towards the wheel to adjust shifting to a larger cog. Turn the barrel one quarter tunr at a time. Then shift up and down to check. If it is not right then do another quarter turn in the respective direction and test each gear again. When you think you have ti right, change onto the big chainring and test again.

Have you tried replacing the cable outers?  These rigid (usually black) sections that the cable itself runs through between STI's and cable stops and to provide the loop before the derailleur.  Apologies if I am over-explaining.

The cable outers are a PITA to cut unless you have the proper tool or a Dremel tool.  Cable outers laugh derisively at side cutters.  If you don't have the proper tool, ask your LBS to cut the outers to size for you.

Also check that your cable is clamped in the correct groove. Small anomalies can make the correct shifting of the front derraileur verrrrry difficult to set properly.

Thanks guys - the only thing I have not tried was to replace the cable outers. Will do that tonight.

Easy buy campaq!

Sorry, just to help you out with the spelling bru!

Easy buy kempekkernoglia

Thanx to Big H!
Witrot2007-02-23 11:58:02

Thanx Witrot  ........ jille kinners leer baie mooi!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you except Kritzinger1 who gave me the wrong advice.(Buy Kemperkernoglia)

During the process of changing the outer cables I discovered a small dent in the cable close to the STI. Cannot believe that this created all the problems, but after replacing that it is as smooth as only Shimano can be.

... but after replacing that it is as smooth as only Shimano can be.

Too bad you ignored Kritzinger1 - it could have been even smoother than that.

Glad it's all sorted.