Pro Bike Set-up

bored girl

Some advice?

Was told by a rather grumpy lbs owner that my bike was way too big for me, that I should be riding a medium with at least 4 inches of clearance between my, uhm, package and the top bar when I'm standing over the bike [i touch...] - and that the bike must handle like a farm-gate on the single track...

Now I've never ridden a medium before, so I wouldn't know.

What I do know is that I'm comfortable on the bike - without any aches and pains, and that I've been riding it now for more than a year without major problems...

And as for the single track - feels just fine to me.

Again though - I wouldn't know, having never ridden on a medium....

But he probably knows what he's talking about?

Is it even worth going to have a set-up done if I'm supposedly on the wrong sized bike to begin with?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it even worth going to have a set-up done if I'm supposedly on the wrong sized bike to begin with?

Any thoughts? 

A friend of mine went to Arran a couple of weeks ago and he also told her to buy a smaller frame, she has bought the bike and did the R4S with it, she says she didn't feel a hundred percent comfortable but it could also be because she has gotten to used to the position on the over sized bike.

Would be interesting to hear what the experts (hubbers) have to say???

Aw hell Thug!

Uhm - not really sure.

620mm for the toptube equals 24 in...

But not sure if the inches size measurement (that generally categorises frame sizes) is simply a conversion of the top tube length...

Maybe someone else will know that.

All I know is that it's a large - and apparently it should be a medium...

RodTi, given  that you are 1.78 which is exactly my height, I would say that a medium frame (18/19") would suit you perfectly, so yes, if your current frame is a large, then it's to big for you.

1hill@atime, depends whether you're talking Road or MTB, if MTB then a medium. Road, I can't help as I only ride MTB Big%20smile

this is turning out to be almost like one of those party tricks......

where some person at a party can tell you the future from the date you are born on and then everyone is "me next me next...."

so thug me next me next LOL although mine is correct S or a 16"Wink

1hill@atime' date=' depends whether you're talking Road or MTB, if MTB then a medium. Road, I can't help as I only ride MTB Big%20smile
[/quote']

I can help if its a road bike you are looking at!

Thug...

Ja - I'm beginning to realise that this might be a distinct possibility...

Just how bad is it though, riding an oversized bike?

And coming back to my original question - if it is oversized, is it even worth going for a set-up?

In other words - if they told me "get a smaller bike" - and I said "no, I love my bike, I won't" - will they still be able to make adjustments that could get me closer to where I would have been [obviously not in the same league though] if I was on the correctly-sized bike?

Or would the "get a smaller bike" be the end of the fitting?

- if it is oversized' date=' is it even worth going for a set-up?

[/quote']

You need to go for a proper setup even if you think that the bike is too big.

It can make a huge difference in your riding.

I just would not recomend arran brown.

Heard and had some real bad experiences.

thought it was quite funny LOL

its amazing how those comments from this morning stopped

i think guys realised that by telling me how to "heal " my carpet burn quicker they are giving secrets away..........LOL

1hill@atime' date=' depends whether you're talking Road or MTB, if MTB then a medium. Road, I can't help as I only ride MTB Big%20smile
[/quote']

I can help if its a road bike you are looking at!

hi it is road.