My son was knocked down by a car during Argus!

Cyclist Mom

1st off i hope your son recovers fully & send him all the hubbers' regards to get well soon

2nd off - JAAAA NEE' date=' i actually am left rather speechless & this is supposed to be if im not mistaken the worlds largest attendance cycle tour. When are these monkeys gonna get it right. And then motorists wonder why cyclists give them the BIG UP YOURS FINGER. It all comes down to selfish motorists that have the attitude of " me 1st, me 1st, me 1st ".

What do Metro do as i saw yesterday on my way to work - Litterally sit & believe you me eat their own snot while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with a lazer cam ( ironic as the cars arent even moving 1st gear idle speed )- Shows you what kind of law enforcement we can expect out of the fools that run our country

okay im out cause im busy working myself up here
[/quote']

All that hating is not going to help you. you get good cops, you get bad cops, you get good civil servants and you get bad ones. But, then again, it's easy to hate authority if you live in Gauteng. It's abused all the time over there.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks chaps.

The worst thing is, it's his first year out of school and since he didn't have a clue as to what to study, we allowed him to have a "gap" year of cycling. This is going to set him back somewhat as he'll have to take it easy for a few weeks now.

This is not the only incident.

I was in T group and we were coming along Glencairn.  I saw an old VW fox in one of the service roads waiting....No Marshall.  I thought at the time I hope this guy doesnt come in.

As we go past Simonstown Train station this Mother F comes along driving in amongst the cyclists....he goes past numeous marshalls and traffic police and no one stopped him.

And no there were no offical markings on the car....he turned into one of the side roads in Simonstown by the town centre.

Hey!! I saw one of those combis somewhere - think after chappies somewhere. Thought it odd but I was too busy fighting the breeze.

I rode past just after it happened.

Overheard the lady from the combi saying to him that 'the council will buy him a new bike'.

Happy to be witness to that statement!

Glad he's ok. Could have been a lot worse.

I rode past just after it happened.

Overheard the lady from the combi saying to him that 'the council will buy him a new bike'.

Happy to be witness to that statement!

Glad he's ok. Could have been a lot worse.

that is not the point here....if he had broken his neck they could not buy him a new one. Buying him a new bike does not sort out the problem.

Well lucky his neck is not broken. I hope ur son recovers quickly . And I am glad you have photographic evidence, and mark C as witness

Please people if you are in a accident like this or you are a witness dont let that person move.

A neck injury is very complex and you can be fine one minute and a small bump in the road, with your neck not in a brace and it can break.

Never move a person in a situation like this.

To do that sort of damage to a windscrean takes a huge force and is going to leave a lot of trauma.

Keep the person still and call a ambulance.
WindblownPE2009-03-11 01:02:45

Please people if you are in a accident like this or you are a witness dont let that person move.

A neck injury is very complex and you cant be fine one minute and a small bump in the road' date=' with your neck not in a brace and it can break.

Never move a person in a situation like this.

To do that sort of damage to a windscrean takes a huge force and is going to leave a lot of trauma.

Keep the person still and call a ambulance.
[/quote']

Yup. A person with a fractured spine can often still stand up and walk around due to adrenaline and then do further damage and loose all function to walk etc! If a person comes off their bike and hits head and or back, DO NOT let them move. Keep them calm and still and organise for a medic. Let them brace and backboard. Oh, not to mention what internal injuries may have been sustained - like fractured ribs can puncture a lung.

Really is bad news - but if i know the guy (and i do) he'll bounce back like tigger on meth. Really is that kind of person... he might be down for a week or 2, but then have the fury to come back and blow us all away...

Was only his 2nd Argus, and last year, he ALSO did a 3:10 - so you have to admit that this guy's a talent if he was on track to do that in this year's conditions...

But last year was also a bit of a snafu - he lost one of his bottles (the full one!) in the first 1/4 of the race. Went the rest of the way on the one left on his bike because he wanted to come first in his grp - ended up getting pipped at the line.

I find myself saying "this is unacceptable" a lot these days, but darnit!, this is unacceptable. You would think that this is the one race we don't have to worry about motorists. Before I work myself up too much, I'll just quote David Feherty "...I am sick up to my coin purse of hearing cyclists apologise for the behaviour of a tiny minority of morons on two wheels. Sure, they give the rest of us a bad name. Get over it. This problem is caused by careless and inattentive drivers, period." Angry

Im jst glad my little brother is ok! Quite shocking that he had to wait 5 hrs on the side of the road until his sister could take him to the hospital! I rode through Camps Bay only to hear my brother screaming my name telling me he'd bn hit by a car during the race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They eventually called the ambulance (quite sometime after the accident)- which still hadnt arrived by the time id finished my ride and taken him to the hospital!!!!! SHOCKING! Just because there's no blood doesnt mean its not urgent - when my mother spoke to the race officials on Sun eve - she was infomed that there were lots of other unjuries which needed to be seen to! So is someone who's bn HIT BY A CAR with no external injuries obviously not taken quite so seriously as someone who is showing some cuts!!!! disgusting if u ask me!

When i got him to the hospital they indicated to me how serious this is and he should never have been left like that! He needed to be made immobile and strapped up IMMEDIATLY! - which they promptly did!! Never bn quite so worried in my life! Sat for hours not knowing what was happening. Being informed by doctors that he may need a plate inserted into his neck. Was a nite from hell!!!! Eventually at 10pm that nite i was informed that they were injuries but nothing life threatening! He'll jst need to wear a soft neck brace for a while.

Im jst relieved the injuries are not life threatening and that all will be fine in the long run! But something def needs to be done! Unfortunatly we hear too often of cyclists being killed and the Argus is the last place you'd think to hear of an incident like this. Def needs to be looked into, and made sure this never happens again!

Thank you everyone for your kind messages!

UNBELIEVABLE....or maybe not so much unbelievable as shocking.....Angry its to be expected that these people are considered "life savers" not "life wreckers"....

F#$kit!!!! hectic!

dankie Here tog vir helmets...i hope your son recovers quickly!

sue the MF's!!!!