Ti Frame - creaking

hitman

Recently my Litespeed Ghisallo has started to make some wierd creaking noises when I ride it. I have FSA SL cranks and KEO pedals and Ksyrium SL wheels on the frame.

The creaking used to only happen when standing and climbing or sprinting, but has now starting making a similar clicking noise when applying pressure on my right pedal in the downstroke.

I have had the torque checked on the BB and chainring nuts and the pedals, so everything is secured tightly....

Any ideas?

check the stem bolts aswell. Those things are buggers when comming to mysterious sounds. Don't just re-tighten stuff. Undo, re-grease and torque correctly

Hi Hitman

I had a similar problem sometime ago. I stripped and searched everything that I thought it could be - even changed seatpost

My "two cents" worth - is check your pedals. A mate of mine had the same issues. Told him to take the pedals off and give good clean and lubricate very well when turning the pedals back into cranks.

We both found we were getting "creak" when pedalling hard or standing.

Lubricated the pedal threads and between pedal and crank - HEY PRESTO problem gone.

Hope this helps!!

Check 4 cracks (is it aluminium?)

What the shops do is press with  foot against the bottom bracket/crank to get the frame to flex. Listen for a clicking noise.

thanks mrm - will try the pedal cleaning option and see how it goes....

mudda... no its a titanium frame but will check it too...

Ti frames sometimes develop a creaking noise in the bb. This is not due to a failure of any sort, it has momething to do with the Ti thread liking/not liking the thread on the BB.

The most common cure that I know of is to remove the bb, clean the thread, and wrap the bb thread in teflon tape (can get a roll from a place with plumbing supplies) & re-install.