Fritz Pienaar denies uncompetitive behaviour

Ralphk

Attendance at the meeting does not indicate agreement with the agenda / minutes. From what we are told and form reading those minutes it appears that some of those people were opposed to the measures being proposed.

Quite correct and there was no agenda that I was aware of.

I for one returned to our shop premises the very next day and resumed business as usual.

The minutes are an absolute joke, I will tell you in all honesty that they are incorrect, Chucky already rightfully spelt out the language barrier issue (Chucky, I hope all is well with you health)

Big Ben

Glad it is sorted smiley20.gif

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll kill for a list of people who said "no thank you".
you might get into more trouble for that than what FP is in

FanD

I will be sure to print this one out and have it printed on an A4 to be block mounted.

Im sure all shops have resultant overheads of retailing to carry and are entitled to profit but it seems unfair that an importer/shop owner be allowed to make profit on the same item when not being sold in his shop but being sold at the same price elsewhere. Kind of like Pick and Pay selling their PNP in-house products to checkers (making a profit) and expecting checkers to sell it at the same RRP price. smiley5.gif

good point about capestorm, my bad. Just think it a little unfair if i was to be a small LBS owner selling same stuff. off to go ride............. smiley9.gif

Lefty' date='dont you work for a petro company of sorts,your coments are very rich coming from you,being involved in most probaly the most corrupt and price fixing industry in this country.

Secondly Andrew was invited to the meeting,he did not call for it,onse again get your facts right and put your names on it.
[/quote']

Chucky, just working for a price-fixing company doesn't make you a price-fixer. Also, working in a certain disreputable industry - DDT factory, radio-active isotope producer, tree-logger or buthery chain - does not exclude you from commenting about the industry or wanting to effect changes from within.

Does the same not apply to those who were at this very same meeting ?
You make plenty accusations, you also seem to assume a lot. (I know of a certain this and that..........)
Everyone who read the previous thread on this will know that I was there, my original post is still there to be read as it was first posted, please do enjoy it.

Of course the same applies and I don't see anyone disputing this. So let me put my point differently: not everyone who works for a company represented there is not a price-fixer. And if you still don't understand the point, I'll give you an example. Sophie* the cleaner at  Fritz Pienaar's  is not a price fixer.

However, the same cannot be said for the owners of single-owner businesses who were there. Nor the directors and shareholders of companies who attended in response to a very specific invitation. They have to be judged differently. And in due course that judgement will come. Maybe justice will be done, maybe not.

*Not her real name.
Johan Bornman2009-03-18 09:20:22

Lefty' date='dont you work for a petro company of sorts,your coments are very rich coming from you,being involved in most probaly the most corrupt and price fixing industry in this country.

?

Secondly Andrew was invited to the meeting,he did not call for it,onse again get your facts right and put your names on it.
[/quote']

?

Chucky, just working for a price-fixing company doesn't make you a price-fixer. Also, working in a certain disreputable industry - DDT factory, radio-active isotope producer, tree-logger or buthery chain - does not exclude you from commenting about the industry or wanting to effect changes from within.
Does the same not apply to those who were at this very same meeting ? You make plenty accusations, you also seem to assume a lot. (I know of a certain this and that..........) Everyone who read the previous thread on this will know that I was there, my original post is still there to be read as it was first posted, please do enjoy it.

?

Of course the same?applies and I don't see anyone disputing this. So let me put my point differently: not everyone who works for a company represented there is not a price-fixer. And if you still don't understand the point, I'll give you an example. Sophie* the cleaner at? Fritz Pienaar's ?is not a price fixer.

However, the same cannot be said for the owners of single-owner businesses who were there. Nor the directors and shareholders of companies who attended in response to a very specific invitation. They have to be judged differently. And in due course that judgement will come. Maybe justice will be done, maybe not.

?

?

*Not her real name.

Your argument seems a little like a 90 year old amputee who already has his 1 leg in the grave.

Here is the attendance register. Apparently it is also "inaccurate"

Absolut biking - Commencal      Graham Terlouw
Alien Cycles                      Mike Bosch
Bester Cycles                      Jaco Bester
Bester Cycles                      Peet Victor
Bicicletta                      Shamus Kreuger
Coolheat Cycle Agencies             Steve Meltzer
Cycle Lab                      Andrew Mclean
Cycle Lab                      Brian Pienaar
Cycle Lab                      Gary Marescia
Cycle Tech                      Marco Swart
Cytek                              Derek Edwards
Dunkeld Cycles                      Merlyn Jackson
Dunkeld Cycles                      Marc Wiederkehr
Johnson Cycle Works             Bassem Riad
Le Peleton                      Eddie Brandstatter
Le Peleton                      Dave Schemmel
Maverick Cycles                      Mike Bradley
Omnico                              Alan Hodson
Omnico                              Vincent Stevens
Probike                              Dave Wyatt
Saloojee's Cycles             Ebrahim Saloojee
Silverback                      Zoon Cronje
Sports pro (felt bicycles)      Clive chowles
Thule                              William Tyson
Just Fun Sports (Trek)             Barney Treger
Just Fun Sports (Trek)             Ricky Treger
Hot Spot Cycles                      Jacques Maritz
Summit Cycles                      Anton Bosman
West Rand Cycles             Eben Venter
Fritz Pienaar Cycles             Ervin Jacobs
Fritz Pienaar Cycles             Charl Theron
Fritz Pienaar Cycles             Fritz Pienaar
Fritz Pienaar Cycles             Heinrich Richter
Fritz Pienaar Cycles             Ruan Deyzel
Cape Cycles                      Steven
Cycles Africa                      Robert Cunnington
The Cycle Hub                      Wendell Bole

This is the first time that Probike's name has been mentioned with regard to the meeting on this forum and thus feel I have to respond.

I have posted below the response of Probike sent by myself on 19 September 2008 @ 18h27 to Fritz Pienaar in response to the minutes of the meeting recieved via e mail by Dave Wyatt from Probike.

Sent: 19 September 2008 06:27 PM
To: fritz@cyclesport.co.za
Cc: 'Dave Wyatt'; 'stephen@coolheat.co.za'
Subject: FW: Minutes - margins in the bicycling industry
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Fritz

Probike would like to make it clear that we attended the meeting reluctantly. Our company does not agree with the contents of your e mail which implies that dealers must collude to achieve an agreed margin or exclude suppliers. Our company encourages competition amongst wholesalers and retailers.

Please take this as our company?s official response to the minutes of the meeting that have been circulated by yourself.

Kind Regards

<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Brandon

Sent: 17 September 2008 06:20 PM
To: Brandon Els
Subject: Fw: Minutes - margins in the bicycling industry

----- Original Message -----

To: dave@probike.co.za

Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:25 PM

Subject: Minutes - margins in the bicycling industry

Dear bicycle wholesaler and retailer,

Thank you for your support and great response in making our industry more healthy.

For those of you who were unaware of this meeting here is a quick refresher:
 "I am sure that most of you are aware that there are a lot of concerns in the retail bicycle industry. There is a lot of rumours about retail shops that are struggling and wholesalers that are not getting paid. This causes a lot of problems for everyone in the industry and I?m sure that you would agree that it is not a healthy position to be in.

I have had numerous meetings with retail shops and wholesalers over the last couple of months and everyone seems to agree that the retail shops are not making enough profit and that something needs to be done about it. The bicycle wholesalers agree that a healthier retail industry would also allow for a healthier wholesale industry.
"

We've had a great response from the meeting on 10th September 2008! With all the mayor bicycle wholesalers and retailers in Gauteng, we've all come to agreement that raising the margins is the resolution to the problem.

It is of utmost importance that we sign-up and state that you support this decision, we need everyone?s support to be able to make this change and to be able to implement these changes right away.

Click here to see the attendance of the meeting on 10th September 2008

Click here to see the meeting on 10th September 2008 minutes

Please click here, to state if you are supportive of higher margins in the Bicycling Retail sector 
(We recommend that you read the minutes if you were not present at the meeting)

Regards,

Fritz Pienaar
083 275 2123

PS. Please forward this to all bike shops you know of, or wholesalers that did not attend.

Congratulations on your company's principled stance, Brandon smiley32.gif

Has the Commission contacted Probike for input in its investigation?

brandon' date=' why would you cc steven on this?[/quote']

So that he too knows what to answer............. you know some people do not like competition...

brandon' date=' why would you cc steven on this?[/quote']

Holy Roller

I have posted Probike's reply for the sole reason that our company's name made an appearance on your forum as an attendee of the meeting and I do not intend to debate questions.

There was much lobbying before this meeting to get industry players to attend and the industry was well aware that Probike was dead against this meeting being held. Considerable pressure was placed on Probike to attend by a convener of the meeting.

I made a decision to record in an e mail our response to the minutes and wanted a witness to our opinion. Steven Meltzer is a friend who in my opinion is a respected businesman in the cycling industry by mostly all players.

There is no sinister reason that Steven Meltzer was on the cc of my e mail to Fritz Pienaar other than being a witness to our response to the minutes recieved via e mail by Dave Wyatt.

I trust that you respect my wish not to comment further and should I be called upon to comment on events leading up to, including and after this meeting by authorities I will do so.

Brandon

the whole thing is stupid and couldnt possibly work. there are LOTS of LARGE bike retailers in the cape who didnt attend or possibly even know about the meeting.

wouldnt it seem a little odd that the capes prices were totally different from JHB prices?

I tried both links to Fritz Pienaar's website in the email from Fritz Pienaar above.Funny think is the URL is not found. Either the link is broken or the page has been removed.

Funny if it were removed. The innocent have nothing to hide.

[Your argument seems a little like a 90 year old amputee who already has his 1 leg in the grave.

I am extremely offended and feel highly insulted by this comment. What gives you the right  to refer to me when we've never met?Angry