GT frame warranty - Possible cracked fame?

Weight Weenie

Hey guys

I recently (Jan/Feb 09) bought a 2008 GT Zaskar pro carbon mtb and recently noticed a small crack near where the top tube meets the downtube where the seatpost goes in.

It has started to spread/grow and I dindnt give it much thought, as it appeared to be a small crack in the clearcoat, but now I'm getting worried...

Im light at 60kg and ride xc/marathon but im not an aggressive rider, more a smooth one and I havent fallen or crashed it, so this is a factory fault IMO.

How do I go about resolving this issue? Does anyone know the GT frame warranty policy? its not on their site or on Omnico's.  Guess my shop must inspect it and they must sort it out with Omnico/GT if it indeed is a carbon crack(which it doesnt look like to me..).  They will probly just tell me its a clear coat crack and not relace it, but still, even if its only a crack in the coat, IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN TO A BIKE RIDDEN ABOUT 6 TIMES !!!Angry

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WW.

Im with you, and i want the 2008 frame, I like blue and have spent allot on blue parts to upgrade it. The 2009 frame is yellow, which I dont like!

Sheesh.

Sorry to hear WW, that is a really trick bike u got there.

Hope u come right

Had more than one frame warranty from omnico never had a problem, just take it to the bike shop and they will replace it.

sweet thanks zidane, hope I can get the same frame though, yellow is butt ugly! Can you give me some more info on what happened and what you had to do to get a replacement? How long did it take?

Ja perp it happens, they make thousands of frames, they cant all be perfect.

Take the bike back to your bike shop, they will send the frame back to Omnico, Omnico will make a decision. If the rep for Omnico is on the ball your turn around time will be quite short but you prob looking at about 2 weeks. I doubt you will get the same 08 frame, they will prob give you the 09 or a replacement frame which may have a diffrent colour scheme.

a good way to check if the carbon is indeed cracked is for you to tap a coin repeatedly over the carbon on either side of the crack and then do the same over the crack if the tone of the tapping changes then it is cracked but if not then it is just clear coat cracking

and omnico are very good with thier waranties good luck with your findings!!

Thanks for all the info, have tapped with my finger and it doesnt sound different to me, wiil try the coin method.

I gather if its a clear coat crack they wont replace it? But this still shouldnt happen!

Can the clear coat crack turn into a carbon crack? hope not, could be dodgy...

• 4 weeks later...

Well im glad too say that I received a call from the LBS Thursday that he bike is ready and I picked it up yesterday.  They managed to get me the same colour frame so im verry happy with the service, thanks Omnico and Bester Cycles Clap

Turn around was less than two weeks and it was a no nonsense replacement.

See you guys at Groenies tomorrow !!!

WW

glad to hear that you got sorted out, otherwise it would be pimping out a whole new bike. lol

Take it to the shop and lodge the query. If it deteriorates, you have a history regarding this and that would make it easier to replace if needed.