Swakopmund December 2008

Levi

Interested in riding from Jhb to Swakopmund December 2008  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Interested in riding from Jhb to Swakopmund December 2008

• No, too far
    • Yes
    • Yes, as a mini-tour

Myself & a friend wants to put together a cycling trip from Johannesburg to Swakopmund, probably Dec

Ideally

we want to go through Botswanaon> and do on average 150km?s

per day.

1. First of all I want to know who of you might be interested in taking part in such an event?

2. Depending on the numbers, we can try to orginise sponsorships, accomodation, etc.

3. Also, if the interest is big enough, we can always try to orginise a mini-tour

The total trip will be about 2000km. We will be riding to Swakopmund, and after that you can spend a few days in Namibia and then fly back

Doing the math, it will be 20 days riding.

Finer details will be published later.

First I want to know who might be interested

Levi2007-02-27 03:04:26

I work in Botswana and am on the committee of the Gaborone Cycling Club.December is a particularly hot time of the year in Botswana.You can expect daily temperatures of 38 to 40 degrees.

The road is pretty desolate between Jwaneng and Ghantzi so careful consideration must be given to accommodation and backup arrangements.

Having said that you can start cycling in the mornings at 0500 and have your riding done and dusted by 11.00am

If you need any assistance or advice please dont hesitate to contact us

We will help where we can.

Members of our club might be interested in joining say from Lobatse or Kanye.Once you have firmed up your plans we can put it on our website www.gcc.org.bw Our website is undergoing some updating at the moment

I would love to do this,as I grew up in Namibia any excuse to go back, so count me in..Thumbs%20Up Great idea LeviClap

Levi.

Keep in mind that 95% of the cycling population is:

Not as crazy as youDead

Not fit enough to do 150km per day for 20 days.  I won't even do it.  Saddle sores.  Extream heat.  etc.  Confused

3000km is 'n looooonnnnnnggggg way from home.  Wink

That said, I think it will be a trip of a lifetime!!!!!! Clap

and if you leave early in December you can do the 24hr race from Windhoek to Swakop on the 16th Dec as well.

And if you time it right you could be in Windhoek for the start of the Desert Challenge. The last stage of your trip can be a 300km+ trip to Swakopmund in 24 hours. Sounds cool!!

Just a correction on the total distance. It is 2000km if we go via Botswana, not 3000km.

Jhb -> Windhoek = 1500km

Windhoek -> Swakopmund +- 350km

+ a few to make it 2000 for the total trip

Any of you know who we can bribe to drive the support vechicle ???

On our last trip down to Cape Town, the support people got pretty fed-up driving for 10days at 30km/h.

We'll need someone with nerves of steel. Or a few so that they can take turns riding support

Are you talking Dec 2008 or 2007.

2008 is a moer of a long way away to start organizing now

Dec 2008.  I know it is still a long way, but I need to find out who might be interested, and generally there is always some people who bails on #99, especially sponsors, and then we are screwed.

For propper sponsorship, we need to ask way in advance so that they can make it part of their budget planning, and also that they know what they are in for