The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:00 PM, MORNE said:

Rapidé have made another sneaky  under the radar product release recently in the form of an eccentric BB

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has tried one, and see some photos of it installed on a bike.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice to see Macky on a singlespeed again. I met him at the 2012 Singlespeed World Champs in Winterton. We were staying with the same family, and did a couple of practice laps together. I had no idea what a hotshot he was, then he went on to nearly win in a photo finish with Burry.

19 minutes ago, Nuffy said:

Nice to see Macky on a singlespeed again. I met him at the 2012 Singlespeed World Champs in Winterton. We were staying with the same family, and did a couple of practice laps together. I had no idea what a hotshot he was, then he went on to nearly win in a photo finish with Burry.

Have you followed his Breck SS 5 day race now recently on YouTube?

7 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Have you followed his Breck SS 5 day race now recently on YouTube?

Not yet. It’s on my list to watch later when I can make some more YouTube time.

• 2 months later...

going through an old harddrive i found some pikshas.

anyone want to guess the location/event?

IMG_8333.JPG.0b478c45ff7ce0c6ebb3ea6959cde41c.JPG

IMG_8336.JPG.9ab26d7d9adf7d1c9e6ec0d900b918e1.JPG

9 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

going through an old harddrive i found some pikshas.

anyone want to guess the location/event?

IMG_8333.JPG.0b478c45ff7ce0c6ebb3ea6959cde41c.JPG

IMG_8336.JPG.9ab26d7d9adf7d1c9e6ec0d900b918e1.JPG

Looks like Winterton Worlds SS

3 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

1. My SS in those days

2. Remember these crazies

3. Honoring our grandfathers who fought in one of the Boer Wars

SSWC2012 Winterton 063.jpg

SSWC2012 Winterton 082a.jpg

SSWC2012 Winterton 112.jpg

• 10 months later...

A revival of a dormant thread, but worthwhile I hope.

My Le Jeune track bike as I bought her, and as she is now with new wheels, saddle, stem, bar, pedals and brake caliper. (Why do so many people building single speeds or fixies set them up with only a rear brake? Around 80% of your braking power comes from the front brake, and I've yet to launch myself over the bars, even during hard emergency braking!)

She's running 42/16, and I managed a 3:42 Argus in the rain earlier this year.

Dividing the number of teeth on the chain ring by the number of teeth on the freewheel or sprocket gives you a number that you can use as a basis for comparison of all other gear ratios. 

My 42/16 ratio works out to 2.625 and has been a manageable (not easy) gear for climbs and flats around Cape Town. (You can get close to this number with lots of other ratios, including 53/20, which works out to 2.65, or 39/15, which works out to 2.6. This is handy if you're building up a single speed or fixie with a road crank.) 

The Rook bikes, and quite a lot of the other single speed / fixie companies use 45/16 as a standard, which works out to 2.8125.

The 53/18 that I run on my old Peugeot works out to 2.95, which makes Suikerbossie a proper beast to climb, although the flat speed is exhilarating. 

The gist is that if your gear ratio works out to between 2.5 and 3.0, you have a very rideable bicycle even with a few hills thrown in. Anything above or below that is going to have you either spinning like crazy or kakking off up hills.

Le Jeune.jpeg

Le Jeune 1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...