The (un)official single speed thread....

rock

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my previous fixie

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3266747312_ceaf624b38.jpg

i got a newer, smaller frame now. the old one was a bit too big. the smaller one is maybe a bit too small, so im still looking for something new. will try to get a pic up later.

OK that's it!!!!

I've been playing around with the idea of a fix gear for some time now, but Now is the time.

I'm gonna build up a Cannondale early '90s in memory of my dad who was killed last year in a hit and run in Dbn.

He bought a white 'dale new when they just landed in SA, I think 1990 and that was the bike he still rode till that morning.

Can one build a fixed gear bike without horisontal dropouts, or do I have to go single speed (with jockey)

Also can I use the BIO PACE cranks on fixie or do I need jockey (I think Iknow the answer)

OK that's it!!!!

I've been playing around with the idea of a fix gear for some time now' date=' but Now is the time.

I'm gonna build up a Cannondale early '90s in memory of my dad who was killed last year in a hit and run in Dbn.

He bought a white 'dale new when they just landed in SA, I think 1990 and that was the bike he still rode till that morning.

Can one build a fixed gear bike without horisontal dropouts, or do I have to go single speed (with jockey)

Also can I use the BIO PACE cranks on fixie or do I need jockey (I think Iknow the answer)
[/quote']

Yeah you can, lots of info on the net on how to do it. Half-link chains etc. etc

Can one build a fixed gear bike without horisontal dropouts' date=' or do I have to go single speed (with jockey)
[/quote']

its best to get horizontals for a fixie, the chain tension is very important. if the chain goes slack you will get hurt, trust me, i know

?

no, biopace changes chain tension too much. you can never use a jockey on a fixed.

So is it possible to cut out drop outs and weld back horisontal drop out's on a Alu frame (this sounds messy)

Seems like single speed is gonna have to do I suppose?

You guys have some sweet wheels, was thinking of rebuilding my old steel frame Eddy Merckx into a 7 speed or single speed.

Rather rebuild the back wheel with one of those adjustable hub jobbies ... this will give you the flexibility of fine tuning your chain tension and retaining the frame as is ... you can then also use the same wheel set on any other std drop out frame.

Regards

Hairy

So is it possible to cut out drop outs and weld back horisontal drop out's on a Alu frame (this sounds messy)

Seems like single speed is gonna have to do I suppose?

What also works is if you just buy a simple chain tension kit like THIS one.

20090330_020119_10009.jpg

This kit can turn any wheel into a SS and the tensioner solves the

chain "Slack" problem. This just mounts to the dropout and the skewer

pushes through it. Very light and durable. As you can see they cost

around R500 from CRC. If you need some, I can get new kits for R300.

Just PM me...

which is better' date=' the tensioner that pushes up os the one pushing down?[/quote']

I had an on-one that pushed down and now have a DMR that pushes up, supposedly the one that pushes up (should your chain length allow) is better as it allows the chain to engage more teeth on the rear cog........