Epic Mechanics

die skim

Mark is an accomplished road & mtb'er mehanic who services most of the bikes himself that go thru his shop. so be more specific as to why you are unhappy. he know road' date=' mtbs, track and tandems like the back of his hand, you obviously had a major disagreement. 

[/quote']

Totally agree with Butafly here. Mark is no poephol when it comes to a bike.

Agreed, Mark is as good as you can get.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use Mark, and have never had problems...only good service....

so come on Skim, give us more info here.....

You certainly haveto be careful who you choose to work on your bike during an event like that thing run from cape town.

last year I found that I got charged quite a bit of money and not even half the work on the contract was done.

Then the shop also got greedy and doubled the number of teams of the service books. This was a breech of contract  but too late to change.

They then still had the cheek to invoice me for parts when they had not delivered on the contract which was paid up front.

I won't mention their name publicly but happy to share my experiences via PM

Skim

I feel your topic heading smacks of generalization, secondly,in what condition was your bike before the Epic ?

Hi Skim, to put Mark on even footage here, who are you and where are you from - I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling us that. Also leave your contact no - Mark's the kind of guy who'd like to follow this up, apologize and make good for alleged poor service.

You said the following:

the point here is not to focus on Mark and his incompetence but to get
it out in the open that there are guys that are using the Epic to
learn. Surely we have the right to know who to use in the future.
So please share with me who the good one there and which the bad
ones. The Epic cost a crap load of money its not nice to have
mechanicals due to your bike boys lack of skill??? I want to know how
was good and who was not.

I know this will be subjective but where there is smoke...

If you don't wanna focus on Mark's incompetance, how many other bad experiences did you in fact have and who are they - since you,re asking about he bad ones too you can start by sending us your list.

We all agree about Epic costing lot of money and what you have to say about inexperienced mechanics.

What I don't agree with is using this forum as a place for biased and unjustified allegations bordering on slander.

So please reveal youself to gain some credibility and give us details.

All the best,

Naas

Ditto....I'm keen to learn more about the "behind the scenes" stuff of the Epic...Hmmmm facinatingSmile

Francois from Manic Cycles looked after us, and did a great job. My worst mechanical issue was the front d?railleur lower stop was incorrectly adjusted after a tune up - a quick stop and a quarter turn of the screw fixed that. Great service from Manic - I can highly recommend them.

There is a sure fire way of avoiding being ripped off - service your own bike. Failing that - know enough about servicing that you can see straight away if you're being ripped off.

Knowledge beats bleeting everytime...

Francois from Manic also looked after my partner & I as well as 2 of our club members & was superb. 

Our bikes were collected as we finished each stage, a written notes of problems was taken & all we had to do was collect the bikes from the park the next day.

And we didn't get charged an arm & a leg (R500 each for basic wash/lube/set for the week, including last stage)

I service, maintain and repair my own bike. Mostly because I can, but also because bike shops are so busy! Do a course and get the tools, basic stuff.

Hi Skim' date=' to put Mark on even footage here, who are you and where are you from - I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling us that. Also leave your contact no - Mark's the kind of guy who'd like to follow this up, apologize and make good for alleged poor service.

You said the following:

the point here is not to focus on Mark and his incompetence but to get it out in the open that there are guys that are using the Epic to learn. Surely we have the right to know who to use in the future.
So please share with me who the good one there and which the bad ones. The Epic cost a crap load of money its not nice to have mechanicals due to your bike boys lack of skill??? I want to know how was good and who was not.

I know this will be subjective but where there is smoke...
 If you don't wanna focus on Mark's incompetance, how many other bad experiences did you in fact have and who are they - since you,re asking about he bad ones too you can start by sending us your list.

We all agree about Epic costing lot of money and what you have to say about inexperienced mechanics.

What I don't agree with is using this forum as a place for biased and unjustified allegations bordering on slander.

So please reveal youself to gain some credibility and give us details.

All the best,

Naas
[/quote']

I have not had experiences of Marks in Bellvile but I hear good things about the staff and the shop so I too would like to knowmore about thi issue.

there are very very very few really experienced MTB mechanics in SA who really know the in;s and out of forks and rear suspension and MTB frames.

People spend far too much money on the Epic. Neither me or my partner had a massage, bike service and didnt spend money on energy or recovery drinks. OK some money were spend in the chill zone...

But why massage if you never massage, why service after every ride, why buy special stuff if food, energade, bars, fruit  is enough and for free?

People spend far too much money on the Epic. Neither me or my partner had a massage' date=' bike service and didnt spend money on energy or recovery drinks. OK some money were spend in the chill zone...

But why massage if you never massage, why service after every ride, why buy special stuff if food, energade, bars, fruit  is enough and for free?
[/quote']

Ja, Groot lem

Just remember that the beer was R 15 each... it you count the amount you okes carbo loaded it would have been cheaper to go for a massage...LOL

I agree some guys spend to much on un important stuff they believe will make a difference.

Of course people spend too much on stuff they believe will work.

R95K for a MTB

Motorhome

Assos shorts.

Gotta have the latest Garmin

compression garments ( my pet dislike)

Crocs... (pittooeeee)

Matching Adidas Cape Epic riders jersey's.

and the list goes on.

No ones told the storyof the bloke who turned up at SAni 2 C after riding to the start from Durban with a kroc bike and bata tuffies...

Now thats the spirit!!