Stick to the Path/Trail

dylan

I'm probably speaking to the converted here but if we as Mtn bikers are going to maintain or contribute to the upkeep of the Braamfontein trail then we need to observe a very basic rule of trail riding I.E Stick to the Trail don't cut new trails or pathways. I refer specifically to the top section of the Emmerentia route, six months ago this section was as it had been for years but now there must be three to four new pathways cut by bikers through that section and this on a severe incline so it's eroding fast. So either we should set up a crew to maintain that section or educate and stick to the path. Hopefully the post could be forwarded to Swampdogs and other groups using the spruit  Thanks Any Comments?

dylan, is that on the section between 1st avenue and the intersection of 3rd Avenue/ Tana ? There is a section there which has become badly eroded.

Swampdogs contributes to the upkeep of the Alberts Farm area and there is talk between JMBC / Club 100 / Others regarding the rest of the Spruit.

Johannesburg Property, the owners of municipal land in <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Johannesburg, our cycling route along the spruit that is managed by Johannesburg City Parks, are conducting a survey to establish whether or not they should or should not develop this land for commercial use. If you wish to preserve the spruit I suggest you complete the questionnaire that is on their Web page http://www.jhbproperty.co.za/new_qu estionnaire.asp

filled it in! it would be terrible if our green spaces were all sold off to make the rich/ corrupt richer.

It's one thing to "preach" to the die-hard fan but what about the riders that don't even know the basic road rules never mind trail rules that does the trail. They don't even adhere to the very basic rules posted at the entrances of the routes.

Mampara that is where you come into the picture . Explain to the rider that what he is doing is wrong and if you ever see him doing that again you will bite his dog !

I'm refering to the "under the trees" section at the top of the botanical gardens and which I've been informed falls under the JCP and will not be allocated to one of the clubs (IE Swamdogs or JMBC so far) to maintain. 

Mampara I hear you on the typical"bushwakker offroad warrior" that doesn't adhere to or give a sh*te about the rules of the road or trail that why I said we as resposible trail users need to "Educate" how we educate is up for debate.