cycling kit?

davidd

I am wanting to purchase my first cycling kit (shorts and top), any tips or ideas?

Where are they reasonably priced? Clap

Velotex, Anatomic, Cape Storm, Vermarc, Assos in order of cost and comfort from low to high - IMO. Go for Bibs and stay away from white.

Avoid Luminous Colours at all costs, and dark coulours are not for after dark.

Cheeper items can be bought at general sport stores, more expensive at your LBS. 

like Jamm said, cape storm are reall good shorts. they are very comfortable. ask me how i know, go on ask me? .... well i'll tell you anyway; cause i own a pair.

you looking at round R500 for them and then its up to you to decide what top. good luck and happy hunting.
no.one.knows2007-03-03 03:17:14

Guest Michelle

Try the Cape Storm shop in Bryanston next to Slipstream cycles. 

Don't forget about Prorace, theses are about as close to an Assos schammy you will find at about half the price.

the new no sweat is also not bad.

I used prorace on the Epic last year, no cream, no spirits and the best was no pain, sores NOTHING.

Oh well this year I am going with Anatomic and will let you knoe after the Epic.

Just watch out for the new fangled schammy's with the two parts, like First Acsent, some Anatomics and No Sweat. they work a treat for some but for others, like me, the seam gives you serious drama and pain on ling rides. But it depends on your build.

thanks all, think ill go to the Cape Storm shop in Bryanston cos thats real close to me... now just gotta get some motivation to get on the bike instead of relaxing/studying/sleeping/work...

Try Tony Impy at Bedford Centre in Bedfordview. I've just bought Santini bib shorts for R500, and they are comfortable as hell. *MUCH* better than the locally made stuff.

Hey!!!

You all forgot about 1st Ascent!

IMHO by far the best value for money around.

Their bibshorts are probalby 1/2 to 1/3 of the top imported stuff.

I would tend to agree with WW first ascent is good value for money and I like the Anatomic Shorts also good value for moneyBig%20smile

for good price in a comfortable pair of shorts that you can ride in all day (150km or more per day, 3-5 days in a row) look at Le Tour (very cheap but i do love them) or the Cape Storms (around R600). definately go with bibs... way way wayyyyy more comfy

Cape Storm and Assos

Also have an old Pearl Izumi bib that I picked up in the UK years ago but it is now pretty much at the end of the road. If any one knows who stocks this locally please let me know