weight problem

o yeah..the formula used to calculate power to weight(w/kg) is used on your body weight only(excl bike weight)

losing weight on the bike is much more valuable..as it is at a lower center of gravity.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet more BS, Racing Hart.  Firstly, who says that weight lost from the bike is at a lower c of g?  Do you acshly know what the term means?

Think of it this way.  Strap a 10kg weight to the top tube of a bike.  Go and ride up a hill.  Now move the same 10kg weight to one of the chain stays.  The bike weighs the same as before you moved the weight, but the centre of gravity of the bike is now lower.  THE BIKE WEIGHS THE SAME!  It will not be any faster or slower up a climb.

Centre of gravity makes no difference besides the fact that you want it to be as low as possible for stabilty.

• 4 weeks later...

Need help on this. Been on and off bike from middle Jan to now. Lost 5kg weight though from diet. I am really battling on bike. Have only "energy" for +-60min then feel dizzy from any sustained effort. Thinking of taking up tiddely winks instead.  

Peter VW - klink of jy op 'n ho? proteien en lae koolhidraat dieet is. Dit sal veroorsaak dat jy nie energie het op die fiets nie. Jy moet carbs inkry om te kan ry, dis so eenvoudig soos dit. As jy nie carbs inkry nie gaan jy begin spiermassa - en dus krag- verloor en jy gaan nog meer sukkel op die fiets. Gaan na 'n sport dieetkundige toe wat weet wat hulle doen en laat hulle jou help...

I agree with Sias, I think the figure is about 60% carbs for a sportsman. I find that what works best for weight loss is to eat the carbs in the morning and lunchtime and mainly salads and some lean protein at night. 

I have yet to get my eating patterns correct, but excellent power-weight is key to being successfull at bike racing.

I hope i can eat properly when i am staying on my own LOL Lost of fruit for me!

I'm with BM on this in keeping it simple.

I think heavier (rather than fat) riders can have advantages on downhills and flats and our endurance is often better.  Apart from the true racers where stick insects always win, a big guy vs a little guy in the middle groups can be evenly matched.

I find I'm fighting my shape sometimes rather than working with it.

I agree with Sias' date=' I think the figure is about 60% carbs for a sportsman. I find that what works best for weight loss is to eat the carbs in the morning and lunchtime and mainly salads and some lean protein at night. [/quote']

The correct balance is:-

60% carbs

28% protein

12% fats

Where did you get that "fact"?

Many nutritionists would disagree, Carmichael is a case in point. His recommended split is approx:

60% carbs

20-25% fat,

15-20% protein

depending on the phase of training the athlete is in. Periodize your nutrition like you do your training, there is no magic formula.

Agree with Bikemonster on that.  Difficult to attribute increased performance to weight loss or increased fitness solely.

I can however say this that I bought a new bike in the same week when I did my first Anatomic Jock.  This was a pure 3 or 4 kilogram weight difference from my old bike.  I kicked ass on the Anatomic Jock.  My cycling buddies who would normally be kicking my butt, last saw me when we started climbing up Hilltop.  I left them there without even putting in any effort and was patiently waiting for them at the finish line.

What is this nonsense about a lower center of gravity!!!Confused  Does this mean that someone carrying a 10kg "boep" will be faster than someone with a 10kg "hunchback"!!!??? Clown LOLLOLLOL

Yip, I agree that your power to weight would be considerably better........     Rule of thumb I have come to know is that power to weight's  is better than loosing weight on your bike

Also if you lose say 5kg, that's a lot less place your blood has to get pumped to so your heart works more efficiently to.

The idea of 'centre of gravity' has a lot to do with improved bike handling and F all to do with speed, p/w ratios etc.

And losing a kg from the frame will actually raise the centre of gravity... so buy a lighter helmet!

Agree about the weight issue - it is only relevant where you are overweight. My performances in races have nothing to do with my weight and everything to do with the amount of training that I have done over the month or two prior to the race.

.. for the obese guys losing weight will improve performance much more than the p/w ratio only.. there is less energy used trying to cool down on hot days, more aerodynamic! etc