MTBers not at Argus

For those who are not going down to Argus, wanna ride the Spruit? Planning to ride early as I have a lunch at 12, start from Emmarentia, ride up to Alberts Farm, back down to Delta Park, then home.

Start at 7am to miss some of the temperature...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in but what about starting in Greymont, do Albertsfarm and then the spruit and then back?

saturday or sunday? and where, i'd really like to join considering that i sorta missed you guys at the farm Embarrassed

for the guys not riding argus that is doing epic. Doing a 5h ride with most of stage 7 in it on sunday if anybody is keen.  8 o clock grabouw country club. anybody welcome...

Sorry, meant to specify Sunday.

Mampara, do you know somewhere safe for us to park? Happy to start at Greymont (sneaky bugger, doesn't want to ride to the start!)

We will have to wait for Mampara to give us directions :-)

Basically you travel down Beyers Naude to Northcliff Corner. Turn towards Ncliff Corner (left if coming from Emmarentia, right if coming from Cresta). Travel down 10km or so, shopping centre on right?

At least that's where I think it is!

So:

Me

Mampara

Bored girl

Miss V

I'll send a msg out to Mamba as well...

Hi All,

I'm in, barring something happening like being bitten by a spider again.

In fact I did the ride from Conrad Drive to Alberts and back this Sunday with Stevo. Bloody slavedriver!

The Swamp Dogs (about 15 of the furry little woofers) were starting from the same point at the same time. They park at Fratellis as there is a parking place and car guard/guards. But this is my end of the trail and I know Mampara is keen to start on that end for a change.

In fact the Johannesburg Mountain Bike Club also started from there on Friday night. They had a night ride and were gathering in numbers when I got back from my ride up and down the Spriut. What a nice way to end the week!

The up-side of starting at Emmarentia is its kind of in the middle and people know where to find it. I'll start from anywhere, just say where.

It's nice to have you back Mampara.

MichH, you'll have to tell us all about the week-end. Hope it was great. We'll get to the start a little early so you can tell us about it.

I rode from my place on Northcliff through Alberts Farm, Emmerentia Dam, Delta and Spruit to Paulshof Mugg and Bean and back on Saturday. Distance was about 46kms. Time was about 4,5hrs which included stops for breakfast,visit to Fritz Pienaar shop and chap stops with riders we met along the way(meet Thug on William Nicol side of spruit.)

There is a Spar and a Wimpy in a shopping centre in Bosmont that we could start at. The directions are exactly as MichH gave except the distance once you have turned at Northcliff corner is about 4kms and not 10kms. The start of Alberts Farm is about 100m from there.

Don from Johannesburg Mountainbike club has posted a map of the area with the various routes marked on it at:

It'll give you a good idea of where Alberts farm is relative to everything else.

The Thug is like Superman. He's here, he's there, he's everywhere. I also bumped into him. On the very top of Alberts farm.  Who should come Thugling up the hill but The Thug himself. 

Last week-end I bumped into him running.

Let this be an example to you all of what too many energy bars can do to you. No wonder he is so darn fit.

So we start at the Bosmont shopping centre then?

I don't have a problem with starting at Emerentia. It is central to everybody and easy to find.

The GREYmont start, not Bosmont, is on Long road. If you go down Beyers Naude from Melvile/Botanical gardens you get to Nortchliff Corner SC. There you turn left and continue for a few kms untill you find Yanky's on your left. At the traffic light infron tof Yankys you turn right and and directly left into the parking grounds of the Wimpy/Spar. There are car guards there. Albertsfarm is just a few 100m from there.

This route that Mamba posted is basically the route to be taken.

Let's put it to the vote. I'm happy to start from a new starting point to try it out (heck, I'm driving there so either which way suits me!)

Greymont shopping centre

Emmarentia top gate

Starting time of 7am is confirmed.

Date is definitely Sunday!

My vote is Greymont shopping centre. I can see it from my place so I can't get lost.

I got shown a wicked little rocky dropoff in Delta Park on Sunday. It is about 5m high and has a blind narrow approach, then you let go of the brakes and trust your bike. The angle of descent is about 70 degrees. Open eyes are an optional extra.