mtb chain lube?

CaptainDura

following on from my broken chain post, what chain lube are you guys using for mtb?

What about the "new and improved"  Squirt ? is it  worth putting on the chain and does it stay on even in wet conditions ?

and how much lube is enough ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

squirt is good, tho not as clean as white lightning, but does seem to last slightly longer.......

for mtb, squirt is the best. i haven't yet tried the new and improved, but i swear by the "old" one...

I also still using the "old" Squirt on and off road. Very happy espesialy if you put on two coats. Do one coat, let dry and then the second.

PopeyeThumbs%20Up - also got one at a race a while ago and keep it with my multitool. I have not had to use it yet but helped out others twice with it! I just keep refilling it!

New formula (Squirt) is awesome . Tried it first time at Saturdays race and I almost came 3rd . Then I got a puncture . Spray it all over your body it really make u fly !

I've been using White Lightening Epic since I ran out of Squirt and will revert back to Squirt as soon as I've finished the WL.

The problem I find with WL is that half of lube is wasted as it drips right through the chain and you end up with more on the ground than on the chain.

Just spray lightly with "Chain Lube" as you turn the peddles till entire chain has been sprayed. I use motorbike chain lube, works great! Castrol chain lube.

BladeRunner2007-03-05 07:25:26

I use Park tool Chain Lube CL-1.

it's a mineral oil based lube and seems to work well.

Been a lover of wax based lubes for a long time but the wax just attracts dirt and builds a lekker thick layer of gloop on the chain rings, sprockets and chain.

Only trie the new Squirt on saturday and can'treally say that its any better than the old cos there was still a lot of crap on the chain afterward, the chain still ran dry..

so that begs the question: Can you use Squirt in wet conditions at all. as Golefty states that his chain went dry as well.

Does that mean we have to use wet lube only in wet conditions, and can you apply it over squirt ? and which one is the best in the WET.....?

so that begs the question: Can you use Squirt in wet conditions at all. as Golefty states that his chain went dry as well.

Does that mean we have to use wet lube only in wet conditions' date=' and can you apply it over squirt ? and which one is the best in the WET.....?

[/quote'] Squirt seems to "wash off" in wet conditions, that is why I use Castrol chain lube. Its rain resistant.

Most stuff washes off in wet conditions - the river crossing on Sunday removed my finishline Wet lube completely.

Had I used my usual Squirt I would have expected the same result. On long rides the solution is to relube during the ride. Squirt is nice cos it sheds a lot of muck and doesn't result in a massive buildup.
niterider2007-03-05 07:55:45