Wheelset/Cluster advice

Jaco Steyn

I need some professional advice on which wheels/cluster to use for the Argus. I have 2 bicycles, a Raleigh RC4500 (which I absolutely adore) and a Silverback (courtesey of Bicycling magazine for letter of the month). I am going to take the Raleigh to the Argus because it has Tiagra front but 105 9spd at the rear with 105 STI's. (All the yuppies can now stop laughing at the social 44 y/o cyclist's bike! It's all I can afford) My dillema now lies with the wheels. The Raleigh has Shimano WH-R550 wheels with a 12-23 cluster. The Silverback has Shimano WH-R500 wheels, but with a 12-26 cluster, which will suit me (remember 44 Y/O social cyclist aiming for 03:45)better on Smutswinkel, Chappies and Suikerbossie! Should I go for the "better" gear ratio, or should i go with the better wheels? Alternatively, should I ask my LBS to swop the clusters out? My Raleigh is going for a full service on Wednesday before I go down to C/T with the train, and I could ask trusty old Christo of Metro cycles in Vanderbijlpark to do it for me if it is adviseable. Your suggestions please?

I would suggest the 12-26 cluster. Depending on your condition, the climbs should not be that difficult. Dpending on what you have where, use your best wheels with the cluster that suits you. The right combination between your best wheel and the gear ratio you feel comfortable with will be fine. Also put your best tyres on the wheels you are going to use - hope this helps.

The 26 will be a big help on Sunday - as suggested, just swap the cluster out and make sure to try it and ensure changes etc are smooth. If in doubt then I would just ride the wheel with the 26 already on.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I appreciate it. I have just swapped the wheels out on the two bicycles, and will try it out tomorrow morning. My gut tells me the best would be to use the WH-R550 wheels with the 12-26 cluster. I seriously doubt if there will be any noticeable difference in  performance between the 550's and the 500's. It's just that the Shimano WH-R550 looks "cooler"!

What BikeMax said.

And never be apologetic about your kit unless it is way ABOVE your abilities.  It's your bike, enjoy it and wallop anybody who gives you grief.

Tell 'em I sent you.

Bikemonster, thanks for the encouraging words! I must say the Hubbers are a helpfull lot. I do not post much, but visit daily. I once met a "uber" hubber, ewep, and he introduced me to the Hub. Maybe I am grasping at straws before the Argus, but I have a colleague at work that I really would like to beat at the Argus. He is quite arrogant and always knows best (according to him anyway!). I really cannot handle people like that and would like him to eat my dust. He has a Trek 1500 with full Ultegra's and always goes on about how much better his bike is to mine.

You've met Ewep and you're still here. Must have been a very brief encounter. Wink

There's nothing wrong with your equipment for what ure using it, as long as you enjoy what you're doing, the critticts can go jump off a cliff.

Steynja, if I can jump in here:

I also had a set of 550's and was continually taking them in to be trued. I subsequently found out that they have a weight limit of 86kgs, which was below my weight.

Basically, I was "pulling" them out of true (technical word???) every time I rode. Not sure if this effects you at all, but is nice to know. I'm also sure that they are great wheels, if you can fit the weight category.

Hey where you starting in the Argus Steynja?

IT all in the legs you should beat your friend

amdretard, I am only starting in the S group (08:05)Cry I had a horrible season last year. 2 Flats on the Hyper to Hyper, seized my BB on the OFM and broke a chain on the 94.7. That in total stuffed my seeding up completely. I am hoping for a 03:45 on the Argus. Thay say things usually happen in three's and I think I have had my share of misfortune last year. Things are looking good thus far. I did a local 80km race last weekend and managed to average 33km/h (2:30 for the 80 km distance). For me that is quite reasonable.

You've met Ewep and you're still here. Must have been a very brief encounter. Wink

There's nothing wrong with your equipment for what ure using it' date=' as long as you enjoy what you're doing, the critticts can go jump off a cliff.

[/quote']

Mampara, jy's net jaloers dat jy nie so cool is nie!!!!

Steynja, swop the clusters on the wheels.  Might be the best option riding on the 12-26.  And as for your bikes, I've seen them and there is NOTHING wrong with them!!!!!  And tell whoever differs that I, ewep, will ROLL OVER THEM one time.

steynja

I love telling the story of my third 94.7 race (the first one on a road bike instead of the old MTB). Not knowing much about bikes I went along to Cash Crusaders and bought an old Avalanche with down tube shifters etc for the huge amount of R695.00.

I have a good friend whose business partner had lots of money and wasn't afraid to spend it on bikes. That year he had spent over R100k on new bikes and upgrading components etc.

Needless to say I wipped his Ass by more than 15 minutes on my R695 Avalanche and never let him forget it.

It's not about the bike, you can have the best bike in the world but if you don't train it is useless.

So good luck for the Argus, I will be out there supporting you guys at the side of the road.