Cycling Holiday in Italy

Pink Floyd

My wife and I are looking at a cycling holiday in  Northern Italy, has anybody done that and if so, any tips and ideas?

Excellent, no hate, glad you could do it,Wish I was there. Was at his concert when he was in SA.

Thanks a lot for the info regarding Italy, will follow up.

Road, might have to look at a new bike (2nd hand) to buy when over there instead of trying to take it with and loose it on the airlines, or damage. Still need to do some research as to what type of bike will be best for something like this. Looking at a base city, town or village and to do 1 to 2 day rides from the central base and then move on to the next place. Not interested in organised rip off tours.

I travel to Northern Italy often on business, its a big area you will need to be more specific on towns and cities you wish to attend.

In my opinion, the cities are busy industrial areas, and not suited to recreational cycling, lots of folk do it I know but I think theres better, safer places to enjoy a bicycle ride -  contary to popular belief and SC, Italy is NOT bicycle mad, roads are narrow and often quite busy, expect issues with trucks and motorists, just like here,............ if you really want to bicycle perhaps the organised tours are still your best option - I know they are expensive and supported mostly by fat Germans and Poms who take 8 hours to ride 20 kms, but they take you on safe roads, you visit most of the interesting sights and you dont get lost.

In my opinion, hire a small car, eat ice cream and enjoy the night and cafe life - Northern Italy is one of the best vacation breaks you can do, maybe just forget the cycles.

Small car, Ice cream, coffee, pasta and all things nice. What a brilliant idea. Would still like to cover some distance on 2 wheels and most certainly away from the big cities and tourist traps, small places with B&B. If we can survive rush hour here in SA, there might be light at the end of the tunnel.Thumbs%20Up

Thnx for the info.

there is a beautiful place called arraba near to venice its beautiful, my memory is poor but i think we flew into venice and drove up, very beautiful,lots of serious biking and there is a gliding centre there too, walking and a thing called "hutting" are very popular also so you have options, the forna, alpines etc are beautiful, we stayed at the sunlighten inn/chalet run by a lovely woman BnB very inexpensive, all around the dolomite area is a popular cyclist route ... have fun

• 4 months later...

If you're thinking of buying a bike there, have a look at decathlon (www.decathlon.com) It's a French version of sportsmans warehouse, and they are all over Europe. They sell their own brands but the bikes are good value for money. We did a similar tour in Spain, carried all of our stuff in panniers and camped along the way. It's cheaper, you don't have to book and you decide how far you want to go everyday. There are mideaval towns troughout Spain and I'm sure Italy is the same - the towns are about 50kms from each other at the most.

I'd decide on an area, fly into the hub of that area with all my stuff packed in "Nigerian Suitcases"  (disposable zip up bags), buy the bike and panniers and do a loop back to that city.

If you get an airline that takes bikes for free, you can even bring the bike back with you. Or advertise it on local craigslist/gumtree as soon as you get it and tell interested parties when it will be available. I would sugest a hybrid bike as you might do a bit of gravel road between towns. They have the same size wheel (700) but are wider and have a bit of grip.

Good luck it will be awesome fun.

Thanks for the info looking forward to a great time there. Will be based in a little town somewhere in Tuscany and riding a different direction everyday, finishing with some good red wine and Italian bread before dinner.

I second wiredonkey on the Decathlon info. Touring bikes incredibly cheap & great value for money.Might be a lot cheaper than for paying for excess weight at the airlines & a lot less hassle.

• 1 month later...

I have taken a bike overseas with panniers etc ?for a cycle tour around France and Ireland so it can be done. You can get away with a 'sporting allowance', try fly direct, stash your bike bag somewhere to collect on the way back out. Catch a train out of the city to rural villages to start the ride.?

Cycling aroung Italy will be fantastic: back roads all the way of course. Guaranteed there's a village every 30 - 50 k's, coffee shops and pasta abound. What more does one want from life? Northern areas of Italy more affluent/posh/uptight and arty, down south more interesting and people more humble/hospitable. Good train network all over to fast forward your trip if you need to.

If you want to stock up on good touring kit get online from Evans Cycles in the UK, they got a great product range and good service

arrivederci!?

kosmonooit2009-10-06 11:34:23

Northern areas of Italy more affluent/posh/uptight and arty' date=' down south more interesting and people more humble/hospitable. [/quote']

A bit like SA Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

Northern areas of Italy more affluent/posh/uptight and arty' date=' down south more interesting and people more humble/hospitable. [/quote']

A bit like SA Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smile

LOL