Wheel Advice

racman

I am also facing the wheel dilema like so many others in the forum. With a budget of approximately 8k I need advise on type of wheel first before make e.g Campag Eurus type (or Mavics/Fulcrum) vs Spinergy Stealth PBO (or more xpensive Zipp 404/Cosmic Carbons etc), especially for a mid group cyclist i.e. 30-33 km/hr for 100k. I understand benefits for Elite riders etc but for those of us trying to get there - is the benefit (and extra cost) of Zipp 404's vs Spinergy Stealth/ Eurus  evident over a lower cost wheel i.e. Campag Sirocco or Neutron (obviously a campag fan!).

The added pressure of our speed of riders is the uneasiness of riding great gear without being an Elite or top cyclist (All Bling & no Sting!!!). That is of no major concern if there is a benefit to improving time and speed. I understand the benefits of full aero rims in bunch riding but my frustration in my current speed group ( maybe will improve when seeding redone) is that there are few bunches at all. When a bunch is formed it appears that no-one wants to work or have no clue about bunch riding! Invariably the race is done solo as the bunch has disintegrated as soon as others are expected to work as well - am I the only one who experiences this problem?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no offence but I find it amuzing when roadies want to spend such ridiculous money on wheels - sure I like fancy stuff but there gets a point where you're not getting anything more for your buck....8K...sheesh....

racman, spend your 8k on wheels. Camy = Eurus Carbon.

go check it on cwccycles site.... very delicious....

Rock spend about R12K on mags for his motorcar. smiley2.gif

Aero wheels are more advantageous when you are not in a bunch as that is when there aero design works to your advantage.

I am keen on the Eurus SL's but wondered if it better to go for more aero and if so what is recommeded for the budget?

niterider, the answer to a question now leads to another - what power meter, benefits etc and where do I get decent coaching?

Hi. I have a set of Capmy Zonda's - They are great wheels and rock solid. Not the lightest though.

Racman,

Forget the powermeter, get a good coach with a Computrainer and bank the cash. HRM's are not dead yet.

niterider' date=' the answer to a question now leads to another - what power meter, benefits etc and where do I get decent coaching?[/quote']

There's enough threads here dealing with the power meter issue, so I won't go there. For coaching try www.bikemaxpower.com.

Hi. I have a set of Capmy Zonda's - They are great wheels and rock solid. Not the lightest though.

Latest Zonda's are a lot lighter than the old ones. 1610g is about 200g lighter than the previous version IIRC.