Tour of Soweto

Eugene

There was quite a debate on this race on the Hub on Monday. From what I read, the main race (for the Elites) had been stopped. I watched the event on Supercycling, there was no mention of any problems and there was even a winner declared (an MTN Microsoft rider). Did I miss something somewhere?

Kom ons praat liewer oor daai bycycle, wat 'n battery op het.

Die volgende "bling" was op show:

Full Head light

Left Flicker

Right Flicker

Motorcar steeringwheel

a Horn

a Siren

Kannie alles onthou.

Hey, eugene, I watched a piece of SC last night, and I figure if sticking your head in the sand works for Ostriches, I assume it works for Cycling SA...

Hey' date=' eugene, I watched a piece of SC last night, and I figure if sticking your head in the sand works for Ostriches, I assume it works for Cycling SA... [/quote']

maybe SC should take their heads out of the hole in the ground, its their show and they are responsible for what is shown

If SC gave a sanitised version maybe that's better for giving the race a chance next year.

The organizers have got a huge amount of experience out of this year's event and it can be positively used to establish the race next.

I don't like censorship but maybe, in this case, it helps if the sport's only TV prog doesn't broadcast the debacle the way CNN might.

Those that need to know what happened, know what happened.

If SC gave a sanitised version maybe that's better for giving the race a chance next year.

The organizers have got a huge amount of experience out of this year's event and it can be positively used to establish the race next.

I don't like censorship but maybe' date=' in this case, it helps if the sport's only TV prog doesn't broadcast the debacle the way CNN might.

Those that need to know what happened, know what happened.
[/quote']

Selective reporting is a form of censorship, full stop. It might suit us this time round but what about when it goes against us? Who decides when and why selective reporting is applied?

The only right thing to do would be disclose everything (including the positives) and then allow those that need to know what happened to have their say about how they intend to fix it next time (i.e. balanced reporting instead of selective reporting). If they come across as being believable then the majority of people would give them the benefit.

This way the failings are ignored and the lessons never learned or are forgotten. There is less onus on those responsible if it is all brushed under the carpet. At least McClean had the goolies to say it the way it was without being derogatory.

Remember the first rule of journalism!!! "Never let the facts get in the way way of a good story!!!" Windbreaker I agree with you 100%.

It was even on Transworld Sport last night. they did not show or mention the stuff up either only the bunch of "local" riders that keep on riding into each other and falling over.

It was the first time ive watched sc and it was the  most boring piece.. rather want to see more race reports in detail..... mmmmm.Sleepy