1time trashed my ride !!!

colin parsons

thought id ride a bit again - to get rid of the boep - so down to sa track champs over easter to watch my son and do a few miles in the home town i booked a flight with 1time - packing the "out of the box" bike as i have for the last 30 years -  it got carted away to be loaded.no indemnity or anything signed !!! 8 april 2009

on arival in cape town as i exited the stairs ,out of habit as i travel with a few bikes regularly i checked to see as bagage was loaded off. so obviously jhb loaded the bike last - so it came out first in ct - and this is off the aircraft - not in the terminal.......

well *%$@ me if it had wings it would be fine!!! my ride was thrown off the plane onto the tarmac and loaded onto the cart - then another 100 or so bags tossed ontop !!!! wtf !!!!AngryAngryAngry

they tossed it off the plane 1time im telling you !!!!

watch this space - a bicycle is "fragile" aparently.....says 1time airlines.

the toughest item would have broken if thrown !!!!

i lodged a complaint and everybody was very sympathetic and loads of paperwork.... "please get us a quote " so i did......then it went to oh!! we will pay youre excess  - and then nooo !!! you should have taken out special insurance with us ................ then deaf ears !!!

so i suppose cyclists arnt welcome on 1time.... if you have to take out special insurance  - then it becomes the insurer's problem - why fly 1time - in 30 years never has a bike been damaged of mine on any other airline....

so some whop ! who hates his job has now caused my ride a bit of pain!!!!! AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry - out the box i tell you.......

Sorry to hear that Colin. Glad to hear you are getting back on the bike. Hope your claim is sorted.

dude, that sucks!

When we (colleagues and I) went to Jozi for a work conference, we brought our mascot back. He's a 1.25m tall, black, fibreglass gorilla called Geoffrey.

We saw him being loaded onto the plane, and then some t0sser decides "no, I really don't want to be on this plane, I should really go back to the check-in gate and take a car" so all the luggage had to be unpacked & repacked, while we were stuck on the plane.

Guess who got left on the causeway. Yes - Geoffrey, all by himself.

That was with Kulula. So yes, if a big, black, fibreglass Gorilla with a white tank top with "Geoffrey" printed on it, can have a few problems, I can see it happening with a bike box.

Wow, I was planning on taking my mtb on a 1time flight, but this scares me a little. Not cool. Nail them on Hellopeeter and evet news papers "ombudsman" that you can find. Sheesh!

muddy p2009-04-22 15:29:41

Just a thought, it might not be 1times fault, check who does the groundhandling for them, maybe claim/complain through them instead. It might be Equaty (sp) aviation, but not sure. i work in airlines and believe me, pack, then tape then box then seal everything in a cast iron case, then insure, re-insure, then some stupid F... will still break it

Wow' date=' I was planning on taking my mtb on a 1time flight, but this scares me a little. Not cool. Nail them on Hellopeeter and evet news papers "ombudsman" that you can find. Sheesh! [/quote']

ombudsmen handle complaints about the media. you should look up consumer journalists rather. 

Thats why they called 1time, cos you only fly with them once and then never again. I tried it ONCE, and I vowed never again, and thank goodness I only had hand luggage.

Everybody I know, that has flown with them, has had an unpleasant experience. Its not just cyclist that they dont want, but ordinary passengers as well. Rumour has it that they have the worse maintained aeroplanes - dont know how true that is, but judging by their service and staff it cant be far wrong.

Good luck with claim.

I know we all have bad experiences somewhere and somehow, but I dont have complaints about Kulula or BA, especially with bikes.

i flewa couple of times with 1Time and now we have policy "nomore 1Time" ... they are rubbish and are never on Time ......

My bike recently got damaged on 1Time...  Flew from PE to JHB. Bike was packed in a bike bag. When I assembled my bike in JHB, the derailleur hanger was bent very badly, bad enough to trash it but I had to train and I took it off and managed to straighten it without too much trouble.

Both disk's were also bent. Frustrating...

On my flight back I took the disks off and took the der + hanger off and added some bubblewrap here and there and everything were fine...

It still wasn't nice to fly with my bike and I doubt I will ever fly with my bike again...
Brighter-Lights2009-04-22 23:45:05

...It still wasn't nice to fly with my bike and I doubt I will ever fly with my bike again...

Thought you were always flying with (on) the bike...[mini-hijack on] had a very nice ride with ac's yesterday' date=' I can actually feel the difference going uphill...the hard part now will be to not train with them... thanks onetime! [mini-hijack off']