Nokia N79 Active

DerangedCage

Got my new toy today, was walking around the block this evening to see how the tracking and live update with sportstracker works, its bloody awesome.

Ill take it for a proper test drive tomorrow.

I want to know if there is anybody else on the hub that makes use of this, I think it would be so cool to share routes, especially mtb routes.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey DC, I'm also thinking of taking this one for my upgrade....

Whats the catch? Do you have to buy the HR strap seperate the GPS side of it? extra monthly charges etc etc????

You can use the sportstracker feature with any Nokia phone that's got GPS. The only thing I pay for is to upload the data from my cell to the web and to download new versions.

I don't have the N79 but I think it's cool.

Wonder if you get a bike mount for it ?

I have started loading my routes up on sportstracker! Really cool to see your routes online. I have made my routes open to anyone so feel free to check them out although they are only 3 thus far. I use my Nokia E71 to track myself.

Got my new toy today, was walking around the block this evening to see how the tracking and live update with sportstracker works, its bloody awesome.

Where did you get it from - MTN and Vodacom look at me strangely when I enquire about it!!

Also want to know if one can use the normal Polar HR strap or is a special Nokia one required?

I ordered mine it from Vodaworld in midrand, unfortunately its not available on contract yet, the thing is I only wanted to get the Heart rate monitor but they don't cell them separate, yet, so I asked the dude at the shop if they could do some inquiries for me, two days later he phoned me and said they have a phone for me, what can I say I'm a sucker for nice shiny toys.

DerangedCage2009-05-05 09:13:08

Guest Agteros

strap might work, but the transmitter on the strap is a special bluetooth one

Firstly You can make any Nokia an Active Phone, but the N79 is the Bomb.

@Deranged Cage: Do not worry about the battery Life, did a 5h30 ride and the Battery was not even half, also have a 4h30 with Music, just set your backlight that it is not  the whole time.

@BEE: You can use any  Noke Gps Phone and download Sportsracker like Di CPD did.

@Di Cpd, I asked you in a previous thread re your data carshing do u want me to ask the propellor heads to see if they can help-let me know.

The HRM Strap is a standard Polar One, the bluetooth pickup connects to the Phone, Polar might have the pickups not sure. Just one caution, please note that the Bluetooth HRM does not connect to your Polar watch it will only connect to the Handset        

BTW Deranged Cage where did u get the N79 ACTIVE, They are not in the SA Market yet?