Well, Argus?

Craven

Argus today was awesome!! Big%20smile EPOH, MWNN and myself rode B bunch and we did great with a time of 2:50 or there abouts! Couldnt ask for a better race, weather was great, roads were good, the bunch rode well with no accidents (well i didnt see any at least).

Was great meeting all the hubbers yesterday, on the breakfast ride. Cant even remember all the names, but it was a lot of fun. Thanks and hope to see you all soon again.

(oh, just want to say special thanks to Amateur, and Slowpoke for that croissant during lap 2! you saved us, we were starving!) Thumbs%20Up

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

het nou 'n hoofpyn......weet nie of dit van die racing of al die bier na die tyd was nie, maar albei was die moeite werd!!! Dink ek ek my sub-3 netnet gemaak. Die weer was perfek (die ouens wat voor gewerk het se daar was bietjie wind!).

Zaskar - glo my amateur is ewig dankbaar vir die stoot wat jy haar gegee het. Wink

Zaskar you were obviously in a different B bunch to me. 3 yes 3 crashes before the end of blue route one of which strangely was uphill! Two of them were caused by the hand cyclists not being seen untill too late and the other I have no idea. There were another 2 upto Glen Cairn the last one of which had me being forced into the curb, magically I managed to stay upright! then it all quietend down a bit.

Zaskar you were obviously in a different B bunch to me. 3 yes 3 crashes before the end of blue route one of which strangely was uphill! Two of them were caused by the hand cyclists not being seen untill too late and the other I have no idea. There were another 2 upto Glen Cairn the last one of which had me being forced into the curb' date=' magically I managed to stay upright! then it all quietend down a bit.[/quote']

yeah i heard about a crash on the blue route, but didnt see or hear anything! maybe thats because i was on the front of the bunch trying to keep the pace up!! Wink

20070311_125858_Victory-5987.jpg20070311_125321_Hunter-Argus-wi.jpgRobbie hunter of team Barloworld won the Argus.The race was controlled with strong pace-making by the team and attacks in the final stages were easily and quickly neutralized ensuring a text-book lead-out and easy win for an explosive Robbie-To those who viewed my images from the Giro-thank-you-wayne

wayne's world2007-03-11 12:59:27

Ok - so today was my first Argus, starting in Z after a ghastly Winelands race.  I was completely overwhelmed by all the people, I don't think I've ever see so many people in one place before!  I eventually found my start chute..had to laugh, some guy was asking where the 30km route was and the poor girls looked so confused.

Met some nice folk in my chute (you have to make friends if you are going to stand next to the people for 40 min).  Then they started playing

Boney M - Going back West, and 2Unlimited - No Limit.  I shudder to think what music the guys starting way at the back must have got!  Then....the Chariots of Fire type of music!  Well that got me big time!  All the training and hype down to today!  BANG - I started!

Some guys were like bullets up to the highway, but I thought it was probably best to pace myself because I was incredibly nervous of Wynberg Hill.  I drive up that hill everyday to get to work, and every time I went over, I told myself I steep and long the hill actually was.  Well, you know what?  It wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to beBig%20smile.  I actually even passed quite a few people!

Some people in the bunch went down quite hard on the Blue Route - hope they are OK and managed to finish the ride.

Smits was harder and longer than I remembered from the Bay City Ride.  Some funny oke had stolen the 100km to go sign and was showing that at the top.  Had a good laugh while dodging the babboons!

I got to the 55km to go mark in 2 hours... I was well chuffed.  Felt good going up Chapmans and then the dreaded Suikerbossie.  While I was going up I was thinking "gees I know everyone said that this hill bites, but this is BITING!"  I stood most of the way up, because I honestly thought I was going to fall if I sat too long.  Near the top someone said "20m to go" and I looked down in sheer relief, only to see I was in my BIG BLADE!  Shocked Boy was I relieved, not to mention pleased that I could change down.

The last 10km's were long! By this stage my legs were hurting and my body jus generally sore. 

Eventually crossed the line on 4h03min!Big%20smile  I was hoping for around 4h20, so I'm really really pleased.

All in all I loved the race.  I felt like a rock star with everyone shouting for you  Cool and just the whole vibe.  For anyone who has not ridden - I can highly recommend the experience, hell, even the weather played along today!

So the Argus bug has bitten me...I'll have to be back next year to better my time!

Well done Mrs C - I remember my 1st to be very much the same as yours.. almost cried going over the line - and now with 5 or 6 below the belt, Argus is still one of the best races. It's worth the effort and the money.

Try double centuary for another GREAT experience!

I see that Ulrich did a 3:33 so anyone who beat that can have major bragging rights with the women. Tongue

" Yeah babe, so I was racing Tour de France winner and Olympic Gold medalist Jan Ulrich in the Argus. He's not so hot, I beat the crap out of him . You wanna go to bed now?"

I see that Ulrich did a 3:33 so anyone who beat that can have major bragging rights with the women. Tongue

" Yeah babe' date=' so I was racing Tour de France winner and Olympic Gold medalist Jan Ulrich in the Argus. He's not so hot, I beat the crap out of him . You wanna go to bed now?"

[/quote']

So if that gives you bragging rights with the ladies, who can I brag to? I also beat him!!! Wink

I punctured in Kalk Bay, fixed it, then joined B. Chatted with the TCS guys and got to the end around 2h57m...

Not very happy, but at least I didn't crash. One of the guys in our office needed stitches to his chin etc after crashing Confused

Highlight of the day was getting Jan Ullrich's autograph on my race numberLOL