Best MTB pedals for me?

ZeroPlay

Hi.

I'm looking for some MTB pedals to replace my Welgo SPD-type pedals.

On my road bike, I ride Look pedals, with the red cleats (pre Keo).  What I really like about them is that, when I use the float to rotate my foot, there is absolutely no tendency for the shoe to spring back to some central position.  If you I use the float to rotate my foot on the pedal, it stays there until I move it again.

With my SPD-type Welgos, I have some float, but when I rotate my foot on the pedal, it tends to work its way back towards some central position again after a while.

What MTB pedals will provide "Look-like" float?  I'm thinking of getting Egg-Beaters, but I don't know if their float works like I want it to.

Thanks for any advice.
ZeroPlay2007-03-14 08:06:07

I think Time has got a good system going. Everybody, except Bored Girl, swears by them.

whatever mampara Tongue 

have you ever actually heard me say anything bad about them?

im just making sure i know 100% what they are capable of

im putting them through hard core tests to see how fast they unclip LOL

BG swears at her time pedals.

I swear by mine. Six years, no mechanical problems, no sore knees,no dents or cuts from sharp edges and no servicing.

Gonna throw my lot in with the Time's as well. They float as you want them to except right at the disengagement point, then you tend to get the spring loaded feeling.

egg beater are "loose". You don't have a tension adjustment screw to set it tighter.

Till you get use to the feel, it will always feel as if its going to slip out of the "catch".

But, it aesy to click in when you have to start again. spesially in mub and uphill. The wires makes that it have 4 "catch" positions.

egg beaters !

when I first fittd them, I just put the one peda on, clipped in or at least attempted to and I wanted to put my spuds back on, then Itried them again with a preoepr mtb ride, it was love at first clip......best pedals ever.

I'd say PDM-959's (Or the new XTR's) - Have ridden all types of pedals, will never ever swop out the 959's!

K

using standard Shimano entry level Pedals and they are cool, except when it gets muddy, then it's a bitch to click in again. I have a pair of Brand New EggBeaters as well still in the box, gonna use them as soon as I get a new pair of Mtb shoes.

Seems like it's between Time Atac Alium and EggBeaters.

One thing that worries me about the Time pedals is that many of the reviews at MTBReview.com complain that they are hard to clip out of.  I have very flakey knees, and the twisting motion of unclipping causes pain if there's a lot of resistance.

I ride my SPD-type Wellgos with very little spring tesion, so I can clip out really easily.

Do you Time riders agree that they're a bit more difficult to unclip from than other pedals?

What are the EggBeaters like when unclipping?

I just upgraded to a Time set and they are marvellous, but I have heard the ones from crank brothers are nice too