SA's

cerv-fan

If a team is split up into different age cat's' date=' let them race there cat's and then drop the whole team down and cause chaos, that team will not win the fairplay award.

[/quote']

If understand you correct his whole team cyclelabs 45-49 is also racing in the 40-44, if so does not seem fair to me either.

Oudshoorn is far, far away from Jozi, so you can't go there for one race! besides if you not making the effort to do the race.....well then don't comment. Stop flinging mud, who actually cares anyway?

The guy falls into the 45 -49 category and you guys moaning about him dropping down to 40-45 category where you suppossed to be fitter and faster ??

What happens if he wins both? does he get crowned ?Sa Champion of both categories ??

I don't give a rat's a$$ if someone rides and wins everything. What I object to are team tactics being employed in these particular races. I really don't care who wins whatever category. If they can (on their own) then they deserve it, and well done to them. If they employ team tactics however, then the whole team should be on the podium. That's all.

Guest Agteros

Not very sporting' date=' I think[/quote']

Aaah shame... so the 'youngsters'' can't handle it that an 'old toppie' can/will beat them?

I'm a bit silly' date=' but as I'd never competed in them before, I was under the impression that Provincials and SA's were for individuals. Unfortunately at our provincials I found out that teams worked to set their guys up. This diminished the race for me. Because it was no longer about the best and strongest rider, it was about the best team. However, it was good to see some teams take a beating from one or two genuine strong riders who blew them away.

My 2c worth.[/quote']

Welcome to road racing. It's most definitely a team sport!

I don't give a rat's a$$ if someone rides and wins everything. What I object to are team tactics being employed in these particular races. I really don't care who wins whatever category. If they can (on their own) then they deserve it' date=' and well done to them. If they employ team tactics however, then the whole team should be on the podium. That's all. [/quote']

Why should these particular races be different from any other races? Road racing is a team sport at all levels.

Re. racing in different age cats: Some of out team wanted to race in elite SAs because we were in the Cape for the Giro etc. We were told by CSA that riders who raced in elite would not be allowed to race in 30-34 as well.

Same rule does not seem to apply to these age cats.

Re. team tactics - if a race is draft legal & riding in bunches is allowed, the racing is all about tactics. It holds true from world champs, olympics (debatable if it should be an olympic sport, then) from pro to junior level. Road racing is a team sport in the same way as rugby, soccer etc.   

imho - Andrew Mcclean is a fantastic rider and will most probally win his age category hands down. but i think he is being unfair to the riders in the age category below his own by riding in their race the next day. if he needs to race twice over the weekend to justify being in Oudtshoorn then he can go and race in the 30-34 age category. 

I AM is gonna get strong competition from Graeme Cronje this year. Graeme's in awesome shape at the moment.

I AM is gonna get strong competition from Graeme Cronje this year. Graeme's in awesome shape at the moment.

So who are the current SA champs in these respective catorgries?

Guys before you all get carried away, why not contact AM and check with him if indeed he is doing both categories.

Next they are going to say   Spuis muis is on something..

get a life and leave the man alone.  FFS.

If you could enter two disciplines why don't you,  otherwise STFU

What is the debate?

Is it whether or not a person should ride in more than one category, or whether or not team tactics should be employed?

I believe that if the individual is strong enough then he should be allowed to compete in whatever he wants to. But if team tactics are used it is not a very true reflection of an individuals true capabilities. Rather a TTT should be raced. Otherwise put the entire team on the podium.

BTW I saw AM ride a few times recently and he is a fine athlete.

If he is capable of racing on both days - so what?

Isn't the reason why there are teams in road cycling, just that, to make sure a team member wins???? Or am I missing something here.

How many races are won by team tactics?

Not many single breakaways that win races/stages, if the team behind does not control the bunch? AM in this year's Argus is probably the exeption to the rule.

I reckon the teams decide in advance who they will back to win, and that's how they race.

Is Graeme and AM both racing 45+?

Last year Greame was SA Champ 40-44 if I remember correctly?

I think AM will try and help one of the Lab team members to win 40+ race, rather than win it himself. Th eglory goes to the team anyway, although the winner gets the medal? Are there no team prizes at SA's?

Isn't the reason why there are teams in road cycling' date=' just that, to make sure a team member wins???? Or am I missing something here.

YOU'RE MISSING SOMETHING HERE!

Are there no team prizes at SA's?

NO, THERE ARE NO TEAM PRIZES, THEREFORE THE TEAMS SHOULDN'T BE DECIDING THE OUTCOME

[/quote']