Did you enjoy the Lionman?

Dukeblue

I want to know whether I am becoming like many people that listen to 702, live and work in Gauteng and whine about stuff, or, whether you agree:

I expected more from the Lionman race. After the extreme popularity of the race and the obvious willingness to travel there, I came back disappointed and left feeling cold, if you'll pardon the pun. For me it turned out to be a gravel road ride with one big climb and kind of a boring few descents (I know, then go faster you say)

I thought the waterpoints could have been better stocked (man I don't really do well on water and bananas only)

Do you think it lacked vibe? Maybe it was the weather?

I want to know whether I am becoming like many people that listen to 702' date=' live and work in Gauteng and whine about stuff, or, whether you agree:

I expected more from the Lionman race. After the extreme popularity of the race and the obvious willingness to travel there, I came back disappointed and left feeling cold, if you'll pardon the pun. For me it turned out to be a gravel road ride with one big climb and kind of a boring few descents (I know, then go faster you say)

I thought the waterpoints could have been better stocked (man I don't really do well on water and bananas only)

Do you think it lacked vibe? Maybe it was the weather?[/quote']

Maybe it had something to do with the running of the waterpoints they had last year, especially the last one before the finish [uSN I think] where the two young girls running things weren't assertive enough to stop riders from stuffing their pockets with nutrition bars etc .. and yep I was one of them Embarrassed Riders were lining up to get their share !

WOW you complain so much!!!!

if you dont like that you were riding in the most amazing scenery and soem of the most untamed area that you might never ride in again then damn you really need to check why you are riding a mtb

i love that race purely because it is not too technical that you have to get off and walk the whole time but it is technical enough to seperate guys that deserve to be up front the soft sand made for some awesome riding and the descents are some of the best ever (try releasing that brake lever)

yes the water tables were understocked but what do you expect a 5 course meal???

this post makes me remember why i havent been on the hub and posting for a while!!!!

oh ya and if you are wondering about my race i had 5 punctures a snapped chain a shift lever that came loose i lost my water bottles and i broke my skewer on my back wheel so before you start complaining about meaningless things rather thank your lucky stars that you had a great smooth ride!!!

Turtle,

I think you may have misread the tone, but whatever. My only question was what your impression of the race had been, and what mine was. As to how I ride down, or up, you won't know, maybe if I released the brake lever I would have ridden over a few folks smiley1.gif

As to the waterpoints, your retort does not have to use hyperbole to make a point. No, I didn't expect a five course meal. Yes, I expected more than what we got.

The scenery was certainly amazing at the top of the climb and toward the end of the ride. For the first half?

But you are right with one observation - checking why I ride my mtb, and for me, yesterday wasn't a good answer. That's all.

Sorry you had a eventful race regarding equipment. What do you do with a broken skewer?

LOLLOLLOL

I forgot how steep the climb was up to the tower! I was well over 10% for some stretches.

How did the newbies who did their first race yesterday experiece that?

I agree on the poorly stocked waterpoints - I need at least a energy drink or a coke!

For the rest - the scenery is stunning and it beats most of the "Gauteng races" in terms of route, scenery etc.

I will be back to try and beat the 4hr mark!

I loved the event. Had a mixture of everything. Would not travel so far just to ride the 35km event. Spent 80 rond on toll gates there and back. Will make a weekend of it next year, Mabalingwe has some stunning views with all the 'koppies'. Did not stop at any water point, as i was well stocked. Finished the 80km just under 4h30 and could feel the pain of that steep climb. I was disgusted to see all the dropped water sachets throughout the route! I took one water saches at the last water point and stuck it in my back pocket when empty, don't weigh anything Confused Downed the free beer i got after the race, was very refreshing and watched the riders on there way in Big%20smile

Turtle' date='

I think you may have misread the tone, but whatever. My only question was what your impression of the race had been, and what mine was. As to how I ride down, or up, you won't know, maybe if I released the brake lever I would have ridden over a few folks smiley1.gif

As to the waterpoints, your retort does not have to use hyperbole to make a point. No, I didn't expect a five course meal. Yes, I expected more than what we got.

The scenery was certainly amazing at the top of the climb and toward the end of the ride. For the first half?

But you are right with one observation - checking why I ride my mtb, and for me, yesterday wasn't a good answer. That's all.

Sorry you had a eventful race regarding equipment. What do you do with a broken skewer?[/quote']

maybe i was a bit harsh but ya it seemed like you were saying that you were wasting your time???

the first half there were plenty of animals next to the trail and i cant believe everybody else that i have spoken to didnt see the elephant eating off one of the trees!!!

yea they could have had more at the waterpoints but why dont you carry enough nutrition with you? i always carry a spare packet of energy drink that if i need it or someone else needs it i can give it to them my point is that yesterday i was unprepared for any sort of mechanical trouble and yet i still had nutrition right up to the end even though i lost my bottles one girl helped me out with a bottle

now if i can still have enough nutrition for 5.5 hours on the bike when i usually finish in 3.5hours why cant others think ahead like that??

about the broken skewer a guy that had crashed saw me walking back and he was not allowed to carry on so he offered me his skewer just so that i completed the race

Big Ups to Daniel for this kind gesture!!!

now if i can still have enough nutrition for 5.5 hours on the bike when i usually finish in 3.5hours why cant others think ahead like that?? - Maybe you are just an exceptionally forward thinking individual?

Jesting aside - you are right, it probably goes to the ethos of the mountain biker to be prepared. However, my race plan has become to start with a bottle of carb drink and then to refill at the waterpoint with either energade, powerade or water-coke mix. It's just because we've become spoiled with some races that provide that. And that was my point - for such a popular race I think it could have been done better.

What a blistering start though!

Turtle' date=' 5 punctures!!! Was it ust and what make?

[/quote']

it was a tubeless bontrager tire before the race started a bontrager tire with a boot and a slime tube when the race started because the plug flew out and then with a few helping hands along the way it is still a tubeless tire with a boot and a non slime tube smiley36.gif smiley36.gif

was the best way to spend a saturday morning after making the front selection in the race smiley6.gif

now if i can still have enough nutrition for 5.5 hours on the bike when i usually finish in 3.5hours why cant others think ahead like that?? - Maybe you are just an exceptionally forward thinking individual?

Jesting aside - you are right' date=' it probably goes to the ethos of the mountain biker to be prepared. However, my race plan has become to start with a bottle of carb drink and then to refill at the waterpoint with either energade, powerade or water-coke mix. It's just because we've become spoiled with some races that provide that. And that was my point - for such a popular race I think it could have been done better. [/quote']

maybe i just overprepare for some things and completely forget about more important things smiley2.gif

and ya the start was awesome reminds me of lemans hehehe how long didyou stay with the front guys???

What a blistering start though!turtlek2009-05-17 01:22:44

The Lion man is a tough race. Lots of soft sand, lots of rocks...a fair bit of twisty singletrack through the bush, quite a bit of fast dirt road riding, even a very welcome bit of tar at the end....and THAT climb. Jeez....it was my 3rd time doing the race, and i am still surprised at how tough that climb is. No rythm with all those rocks, and then the bloody steep gradient as well. Phew.

I had a good ride though, hanging onto the leaders for about 7km's to get free and clear of the masses behind, and then settled into a good rhythm, riding the rest mostly by myself as well as a few sections pacing with 2 others... Came in around 3:22 just inside the top 10. That free beer at the finish was a great touch. Yopu won't see that happening at a road race :) Also, the Grolsch promotion of buy one get one free was a winner too! I'll definitely be back.

Free beer ? What free beer? Cry

Maybe there was nothing left after I finished after 5h40min... Jeez you might say, but it was my first MTB race ever! And that climb ... liewe donner!!! But then again, I'm always gonna struggle being 100kg and almost 2m tall. Do the pros actually ride that out? I think you must be superhuman or something to NOT get off your bike and push it out. I was completely gatvol at the top of the climb. And the decent was just as hard , hard on the body and hard on the bike. Luckily did not have ANY mechanical issues... beginners luck?

Did not see a lot of game, probably because I was more at the back of the bunch...

About the aid-stations, liked the bananas and cold water, did carry a camelbak with a carbo drink and some energy bars....

For a first time MTB racer (??? LOL) and Lionman entrant, it's difficult to give an educated opinion I know, but compared to road races (running and cycling) it was pretty standard I would say, would have liked some coke as well.... EXCEPT for the scenery.... it was amazing, dis lekker in die bosveld!!!

Gillie,

Well done man! Congrats on finishing! We rode with my brother, it was his first race as well, and he passed out in the car.

Yip, the pro's ride up that hill, so do many of the rest of us schmoes, the really impressive thing is that they ride with real tempo up there and don't just try to make it up. You will get better and be able to ride up more as you keep going. Tiaan Strauss is a big guy and rode where

lots of guys couldn't in the Epic. As did Marius Hurter and I think he weighs even more than a ton.

Did not enjoy it at all . All went well up to the Castrol bar where I had a smoke and brunch . But at the top of that climb got serious pain in da knee . Every little false flat became a challange and I had to stop about 10 times . Water tables was what they suppose to be "water tables" . Finish like always had nice vibe , just not sure why they always have the price giving in the hall !

I quite enjoy the race, the first half being a sprint with a few tech. bits to spread the field. then the BIG climb, where there's one stretch (50m) on the 2nd Blip that is very difficult, line & rythmn are important, I had to hike a bike 1/2 way up this bit. The Prizes are excellent, where did they get that MC from?  I have 2 issues though: the guy who finished 1st in the 80km Masters Cat. gave his entry away (we think, he is seeded 43!) he was not at P.giving! assuming this the snot head who took his number did not tell the Organisers and therefore, prevented the real winner from collecting a great prize! The 2nd Gripe was that the timekeeper failed to record my wife's finish, she came in with 3 others which confused the tanny with the gun! 1073m ascent makes this an average MTB race but in general the vibe etc. makes you wanna go back.