Which XC MTB?

mountain_lion

My Trek 6000 hard tail MTB is now 7+ years old. Time to upgrade! Big%20smile

Considering full suspension.

What does the forum suggest for a middle of the pack XC rider with above average technical skills?

Budget R10-13K.

Brand / model??

Thanks.

PS Anybody in the market for a used 18" hard tail (with new drive train) which should be up for sale soon?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, since nobody replied to my question from a week or so ago, here is what my own research found:

There is only one choice if you want a full sus XC under R13k: Giant Anthem.

I could not find any other quality full sus bike in this price range.

Strictly speaking there are 2 options: Anthem 2 & 3.

If the budget is really tight, you can get the Anthem 3 - lower spec components. I understand this model is done specificly for RSA this year; does not even feature in the catalogue.  Approx R11500.

I went for the Anthem 2. Shocks and some other components are upgraded from what you get with the Anthem 3.

All that I need to add were clipless pedals and computer - total just under R13k.

The jump in price to the Anthem 1 is substantial (R18k+).

But this is components only (which can be upgraded at any time) - frame is exactly the same throughout the Anthem range.

So far I am very happy with my Anthem 2.

It handles well on twisty single track, climbs well and of course it screams down hill. 3.5" travel is sufficient for my riding style. Juicy disc brakes give full control.

All in all a very nice budget option / entry level full sus XC bike. Smile

Check out the Trek EX5. Now selling for 12 something.

Bit late now...

None of the dealers I visited in Stellenbosch / Cape Town N-suburbs area could offer me Trek - I did ask about Trek (although not specificly for the EX5). All said that Trek did not have a XC full sus under R13k.

ja the giant is a great bike.....bowmans have a stack of treks as does cyclelab......it worth going to check them out (even if only to re-assure your descision for the giant)

I bought the anthem 1 about 2 months ago only paid 16k so depends where u go its the best value for money i think 

• 3 weeks later...
I bought the anthem 1 about 2 months ago only paid 16k so depends where u go its the best value for money i think 

Where did you buy the anthem 1 for 16k?

Where did you buy the anthem 1 for 16k?

From Cajees

• 1 month later...