Straight Blade forks vs Traditional

racman

To all  the Experts out there - is there a real difference (that the average rider can feel) between a straight blade fork e.g Colnago and a  traditional curved fork e.g. De Rosa, Bianchi etc?

Curved forks are more comfortable, you don't feel all those holes of the roads, with straight forks, you do. I supose it depends what road conditions you ride on. The advantage with straight forks is that they are more responsive, more for racing in close proximity. For the everyday cyclist and funrider, go for curved, you'll enjoy your cycling more and you'de ride more.

I enjoy the Response on my Colnago with Straight Fork - very stable in Corners and yet quick responses. Is this the fork or the frame geometry. Seems gr8 for climbing as well. I have only ridden a Colnago so do not have any comparitive experience.

I rode both straight and curved forks. The differance is so small, us mere mortals will never even notice it.Confused

There shouldn't be much difference, as the rake on a straight fork is more than on a curved fork. If you had to measure the wheelbase of a bike with both setups they should measure the same.

I've read a story once of 'ol Ernesto [Colnago] equipping the bikes of the Mapei squad with straightblades instead of rockshocks for the Paris Roubaix, taking a 1-2 in the process ('98, I think). Dunno how much that counts for anything, since the spread has been pretty much 50/50 after that...

Pick your poison then drink it, I guess Smile

I will always go with curved. I used a straight blade for a few months and it killed my hands and arms. The curved blades absorb alot more vibration from the road. Maybe if you combine the straight blade with carbon h/bars it will be better.