Id10T Cyclists

Poenster

*Rant on*

So I'm out for a relaxed ride yesterday afternoon in Kempton, when I hear a car hooting. I look up, and see a car stuck behind 3 cyclists riding next to each other. (there is no shoulder on De Wickus rd in kempton) and instead of the guys moving over to let traffic past, they swear and taunt the motorist instead. even after the car managed to get past them did they carry on.

Now once again this raises the issue of road safety and who's fault it is when a cyclist gets knocked over. Is it really always the car's fault? Or is it possibly more likely to be the cyclist?

I am not saying that all cyclists ride like @sswipes, and I hate seeing the reports of cyclists being knocked down, but seeing cr@p like this makes me furious!

GET A LIFE AND BE MORE CONCIOUS FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY!!!!

*Rant Off*

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a pity that idiots like that give us bad name and undoes all the good work that many are doing to foster mutual respect.

I think the part of swearing at motorists - that I can understand, the part I cannot is that those are usually the guys making the biggest noise when someone gets knocked down,

another thing: - rodies are known to be bombastic and arrogant, I have yet to meet a roadie who actually greets you when you ride past him or her on a bike .... just an observation.....

grow up guys and get a MTB!!!!! at least you will be safer and enjoy riding more. If it is tea you need and time to chat, then do it at the coffe shop afterwards, not while you are riding.

If it is tea you need and time to chat' date=' then do it at the coffe shop afterwards, not while you are riding.

[/quote']

+1000000000

I think the part of swearing at motorists - that I can understand' date=' the part I cannot is that those are usually the guys making the biggest noise when someone gets knocked down,
another thing: - rodies are known to be bombastic and arrogant, I have yet to meet a roadie who actually greets you when you ride past him or her on a bike .... just an observation.....
grow up guys and get a MTB!!!!! at least you will be safer and enjoy riding more. If it is tea you need and time to chat, then do it at the coffe shop afterwards, not while you are riding. [/quote']

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

You the one that sounds arrogant to me ...Never been greeted by a roadie???? you can't put all road cyclists in this category just because you wheren't greeted on a few occasions . .Just yesterday I rode past a guy on a MTB , he didn't greet me after I waved . Does this make you a prick aswell? 

And how does selling a road bike and purchasing a mountain bike going to change a persons personality???Confused

101%2007-03-19 01:01:26

I think the part of swearing at motorists - that I can understand' date=' the part I cannot is that those are usually the guys making the biggest noise when someone gets knocked down,

grow up guys and get a MTB!!!!! at least you will be safer and enjoy riding more. If it is tea you need and time to chat, then do it at the coffe shop afterwards, not while you are riding. [/quote']

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

You the one that sounds arrogant to me ...Never been greeted by a roadie???? you can't put all road cyclists in this category just because you wheren't greeted on a few occasions . .Just yesterday I rode past a guy on a MTB , he didn't greet me after I waved . Does this make you a prick aswell? 

And how does selling a road bike and purchasing a mountain bike going to change a persons personality???Confused

And once again our Meat maatjie hits the nail on the head.  I went out yesterday, like all Sundays, and I was greeted or ignored by both roadies and MTB'ers.

AiKona, not being nasty or anything, but your logic STINKS!

Biggest load of effen CR@P. Dont generalise. A lot of the mountainbikers never even see a road bike, be it ridden one in their life. They dont know what road cycling is about. But to make the assumption that they are all arrogant and bombastic makes my blood boil. I always greet my fellow cyclist as I ride both road and offroad. And so does a lot of other cyclist I know maybe people are just not as friendly in your part of the world!

I have ridden past a lot of mountainbikers with their stiff eco friendly noses stuck in the air when you greet them.

I think both MTB'ers and roadies have had their fair share of non friendly fellow cyclists...

We can safely say that in both fraternities are stuck up and arrogant cyclists. I personally try greet  anything with pedal power when I see them, and get very upset when they dont acknowledge me!

Okay okay now I'm confused....

Where do I fight in I ride a Hybrid....? Do I side with the roadies or do I side with the MTB's? LOL

Has anybody read the editors report/feedback in the latest bicycling mag? Interesting, touches on this subject a bit....

jedimastersa2007-03-19 01:24:00

I think both MTB'ers and roadies have had their fair share of non friendly fellow cyclists...

We can safely say that in both fraternities are stuck up and arrogant cyclists. I personally try greet  anything with pedal power when I see them' date=' and get very upset when they dont acknowledge me!

[/quote']

With regards to the whole non greeting issues... come on guys, maybe the other guy is so tired he/she is just concentrating on pedaling....maybe she/he is conentrating on riding safe and paying attention to the traffic etc, maybe they just day dreaming and did not see you????

Really are going to have issues like this cause some oke did not wave...? I try and greet and if i don't get a reply then so what move on with life, there are many times I have missed greeting the person back because I have been paying attention to something else.....

What the real issue here is the fact that some oke's ride like real p03ph0ls and they have the arrogance to blame other people - motorist/cyclist....not that some one did not wave back to you when you waved at them....

jedimastersa2007-03-19 01:37:17

AiKona, not only does your logic re roadies vs MTB stink, but also, your comment about "swearing at motorists, tht i can understadn"!!! if those @sswipes were blocking the poor dude from passing and he eventually hooted then they should have been APOLOGISING and NOT swearing at him.

If he is NOT concerntrating and day-dreaming, he is a candidate for getting knocked over. If you are riding your bike you MUST concerntrate!!!

Honestly, there is no excuse for common courtesy.

Guys, my grandma taught me one thing, treat people as you want to be treated.  What does this say about the peopolle signing away?  What would they do if I cycle past them and start signing?

Secondly (and my grandma did NOT say this), drive defensively.  Think for the other person while on your bike, it might save your life!

ewep2007-03-19 01:42:01

Thanks for clearing the mud jedimaster (master jedi you are! aarrggg!!! ) the point is the arrogance, not the greeting/non greeting - that is merely a side affect of arrogance...(and people not considering other people)....sad to say, many innocent people get knocked over and these are the guys who make the greater public become aggressive towards riders...a MTB won't change your personality, but it will keep you out of the way of a taxi - that is if you dare to leave the TAR....Wink

Thanks for clearing the mud jedimaster (master jedi you are! aarrggg!!! ) the point is the arrogance' date=' not the greeting/non greeting - that is merely a side affect of arrogance...(and people not considering other people)....sad to say, many innocent people get knocked over and these are the guys who make the greater public become aggressive towards riders...a MTB won't change your personality, but it will keep you out of the way of a taxi - that is if you dare to leave the TAR....Wink

[/quote']

+1

It's not about the greetings - that is an added bonus of fellowship.

It is so true what was once said. " The instance a cyclist puts on Lycra, they think that they are now Superman".

Arrogance like this does not help our plight to have safe cycling measures or initiatives put in place. Cyclists like these just blow away chances of getting the help from Municipalities & the Government.