Calling PE Cyclists!

Captain Slow

Calling all PE Cyclists!!

It is sad to hear about Kim's untimely death.

Last week a fellow Hubber was almost taken out!!

Before we have another death or serious injury, we need to make a difference. I have made contact with the relevant road authorities and we need to raise funds to have W309 signs erected.

So this is what needs to be done. A group of cyclists need to get together and start a little committee.  It does not have to be formal but a group of guys that can contact local clubs and businesses (like Probike) and cycle shops that benefit from cyclists out there. Arrange fund raising events and if you need my help talking to these shops and businesses I am only a phone call or e-mail away.

This is a tedious task and takes time, but we are here to save lives!

So all those who think they can make a difference, please mail me shaun@sign-up.co.za or call me on 083 232-6344.

Remember, Kim might not have been your team mate and you probably did not know her, but it could have been anyone of you in PLZ.

Be proactive and save lives before another cyclist gets killed or maimed!

MAY THE LORD KEEP YOU ALL SAFE OUT THERE AND REMEMBER TO WEAR A SAFETY VEST AND USE YOUR RED FLASHING LIGHT DURING THE DAYTIME!!

Captain Slow2009-05-25 02:59:16

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to a PE hubber that contacted me and we have started the ball rolling.

Please if there are others willing to help or contribute, please contact me.

Before we have another death or serious injury' date=' we need to make a difference. I have made contact with the relevant road authorities and we need to raise funds to have W309 signs erected.

So this is what needs to be done. A group of cyclists need to get together and start a little committee.  It does not have to be formal but a group of guys that can contact local clubs and businesses (like Probike) and cycle shops that benefit from cyclists out there. Arrange fund raising events and if you need my help talking to these shops and businesses I am only a phone call or e-mail away.

So all those who think they can make a difference, please mail me shaun@sign-up.co.za or call me on 083 232-6344.

Remember, Kim might not have been your team mate and you probably did not know her, but it could have been anyone of you in PLZ.

MAY THE LORD KEEP YOU ALL SAFE OUT THERE AND REMEMBER TO WEAR A SAFETY VEST AND USE YOUR RED FLASHING LIGHT DURING THE DAYTIME!!
[/quote'] Count me in Shaun!

Oh yes I see you never replied to my email about the toune (sic) covers! Big%20smile
Spud2009-05-25 06:54:13

Before we have another death or serious injury' date=' we need to make a difference. I have made contact with the relevant road authorities and we need to raise funds to have W309 signs erected.

[/quote']

Hi Shaun. I am in Europe on business and just logged in only to recieve many e mails on Kim's death.

Please let me know by PM how we can help.

i also think its worth getting the ironman organizers unvolved,

that was part of the ironman route as well as being their training ground.

its not difficult for the council to slow that road down tp 60km and make it a coastal tourist route part of marine drive all the way to maitlands with bike lanes.

that accident wouldnt have occurred at 60km/h and even at 80 km/h.

i am not in pe but i will send the council a request.

Thanks Kori.

I have made contact with both Municipal & National Roads Departments and they have agreed to have signage erected on our behalf. Your suggestion of a speed decrease is great and I am sure it will help.

However, the biggest hurdle is the lack of funds to purchase these signs and that is where we need help.

No big business willing to sponser u? Maybe PnP and they can have their name on the sign as well? How much does such a sign cost?

No big business willing to sponser u? Maybe PnP and they can have their name on the sign as well? How much does such a sign cost?

seem to remember a post saying that it you can't have branding on the sign, but there would be no harm in getting them involved. sure their marketing folk could get some mileage out of it.

Yep, HR no branding allowed!!

I have approached PnP and will wait & see. I really feel that as PnP make enough money off race entries around the country, they can surely ensure that race & especially training routes are made safer. Let's not forget the commuters as well!!

Yep' date=' HR no branding allowed!!

I have approached PnP and will wait & see. I really feel that as PnP make enough money off race entries around the country, they can surely ensure that race & especially training routes are made safer. Let's not forget the commuters as well!!
[/quote']

jonathan ackerman's quite a keen rider, isn't he?

Shaun are you telling me there are only two MTB'ers willing to get involved to sort the roadies training routes out.Shocked