MTB fork steerer tube short!

NotSoBigBen

OK so great excitement at home as the nipper gets the new RockShox Reba Team on his fancy C/fibre hardtail and I get the Fox F100X with terralogic to use on ................................................ oooooops so the steerer tube sticks up just about 1cm above the headset of the Epic ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know what options are available? I am thinking that a mere 1cm above the headset is too little to be safe?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 1cm is too short. There's nothing for the stem to grip. I think they should make forks, especially the top of the range ones, with replacable steerer tubes.

I suppose you could always modify Junior's headset Wink

Seriously, give Anton a bel and speak to him.

Far as I know, you're stuffed. Don't think there is a way of safely extending a steerer tube Cry. Maybe you can swop it out with someone?

Thanks Thug - chatted to Anton but he had no solutions (his head is also already at Epic!).

You all know the answer I'm waiting for, you know 'hey I've done it before and it was cool' Nothing broke etc. etc. etc.

Afraid you aint gonna get it. 1cm is just too short, you're gonna fall yourself into a new bloodgroup if you ride like that.

I know that with a hydraulic press you can press out the old one and press in a new one, Fiekie at Bowmans used to do it on quite a regular basis. He used the Hydraulic press at Hopkins Motorbike shop? Maybe get hold of a reputable shop up there and pose the question? Also get hold of Russel at Omnico and ask him what he suggests.

Is it a new or new "secondhand" fork ?

After I got my Reba race and my setup done by Arran, he cut off close to 2 cm from the steerer tube and I still probably have a 2.5cm carbon stack between my stem & headset.

Titus, that's a name from the past....... Mike Hopkins

Bought my 1st KDX 200 from Mike when he had a small shop in Bree Street. Used to sell Kwackers & Huskies

Yeah, he now has a small shop in Bree street and sells kwackers and Triumphs, things certainly have changed here. You have to go 4 streets down to find the Husky shop.

you could press it out but am not a fan of that......but ja  f you can swap the upper with someone that would be a score.

Thanks Thug - chatted to Anton but he had no solutions (his head is also already at Epic!).

You all know the answer I'm waiting for' date=' you know 'hey I've done it before and it was cool' Nothing broke etc. etc. etc.

[/quote']

BigBen, If you saw it at 45 degrees and saw an extension for it also at 45 degrees, you get a nice big area for a weld.  Arc welding will not work 'cause the wall is too thin, but I mig welded an extension onto mine a year ago - OK, I got a professional to weld it for me - It still holds 100%Big%20smile

My weld is exactly in the middle of the bike's head tube where I beleive the least forces are present.

PS:  Everyone said you can't weld it and that it WILL breakOuch.

You can insert an extention piece from BBB as a last resort but rather speak to Omnico first.

[

PS:  Everyone said you can't weld it and that it WILL breakOuch.

But they didn't say when it would break did they?  Be afraid...be very afraid.Evil%20Smile

And from now on you can ride in front of me at Majic. ( I have an excuse for being at the back now)

20070319_083204_bhp21.jpg

BHP-20 Extender
Sizes: 25.4mm / 22.2mm.
BHP-21 Extender
Sizes: 28.6mm / 25.4mm.
Special Features
Adapter that enables you to make your steering tube longer without affecting the Ahead system.
Threaded and threadless headsets compatible.
Sand-blasted black BBB RoundHead included.

Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder?