Query re Cassette & Light Batteries

RodTi

Two seemingly unrelated points this - but please let me know what you think!

I'm about to upgrade my wheelset - and was wondering what to do with my old wheels.

They be very old Shimano STX's (Parrallex[?] hubs) that still work... At least they turn! Wink

I have a XT cassette that I put on last year, when I upgraded my drivetrain...

Now, if memory serves me correct - you can pick up a decent cassette for about R900? So - is it worth it leaving my cassette on the old wheelset, and buying a new cassette for the new wheelset - thereby in effect ending up with 2 wheelsets? Is is useful to leave slicks on the old, should I want to do some road work - especially bearing in mind that I want to go tubeless on the new set, obviously with knobblies for mtb'ing?

Or should I put the current cassette on the new wheels, and shop around for a cheaper/2nd cassette for the old?

Would riding with two different cassettes/wheelsets not potentially start introducing more wear and tear on the drive train, considering that my chain would have "been used" to working on the original cassette?

Does that question make sense? - can anyone that rides with training and racing wheelset's help me out? 

If I get a new cassette - do I need to get a new chain in any event?

Lastly - saw a photo on bikeforum.net of a bike "dressed up for winter" with two batteries, shaped to fit in the bikes' bottle cages. They then have wires running up to the front of the handlebar, where the lights are mounted...

Anyone ever seen anything like that - are those batteries available in SA?

Seemed like a very good idea to me - I've never really looked at lights yet - where are the batteries normally positioned?

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, you're getting ripped of if you pay R900 for a casette. Should be about half that.

Secondly, those bottle batteries are normally light set specific. They come with the lights and are normally quite pricey.

An XT cassette is around R600-R700, don't go much lower than that. A second wheelset is always good to have especially if you don't wanna be changing tyres all the time. The lights generally come with batteries, so it'll be a complete unit unless you're doing a home job of some description.

Ok - as I said - I wasn't to sure on the price of the XT...

R500 - R700 it is then Tongue

Thanks anyway!

So Titus - Mampara - if I were to go the way of having 2 wheelsets - what effect does the new cassette have, if any? Do I need to look at a new chain? Would the current chain "be imprinted(?)" with the current cassette, and would there be any detrimental consequences between jumping between two cassettes?

As for those lights - can just see myself reaching down and ripping off a battery line the first time I get thirsty... LOL

I'm actually also looking for a lighting system for om winter training with it getting dark an all. I have a choice of two Brands, yess, just TWO Brands so it should be easy. The one is Sigma and the other is BlackBurn, can some1 tell me which is the better option?? please!!!

So Titus - Mampara - if I were to go the way of having 2 wheelsets - what effect does the new cassette have' date=' if any? Do I need to look at a new chain? Would the current chain "be imprinted(?)" with the current cassette, and would there be any detrimental consequences between jumping between two cassettes?
[/quote']

Depending on the age of the old chain and casette. The old chain might jump a bit on the new casette because the stretched chain won't fit the new teeth.

Guest Big H

Marius ek het 'n Sigma Evo (iets) Dit is netjies werk goed en die battery hou met al die ligte aan so 2.5 ure. Met albei ligte aan bright selfs BMW's my!!!!!!!

Thanks Mampara!

Hey Marius - if you don't mind me asking, what price-range are we talking about for those lights you looking at? I too need to start looking around, and want to know what I'm letting myself in for...

What you want as far as lights go are maximum lumens, maximum burn times, minimum price and in my case the ability to be able to put the battery somewhere else other than the bottle cage.

Guest Big H

RodTi, I paid just over R1000 at Willie in March 2006 for the Sigma Evo.

Thanks Big H...

Guess that's not too bad - considering it means one can actually keep on riding during the winter...

Yowsers...

Price, eish, I can get a good deal on those two brands for myself, long story. But I saw Willie was selling the BluckBurn set for R2132 and dunno what the Sigma wil go for..

Titus, do you know any Mtb'ers using any1 of these brands? I was thinking I might be able to use one for 24Hr events aswell..

You won't be able to use those for 24 hour races, the issue here is the burn time, 2 and a half hours is not gonna get you through the night. 2 batteries you say, what happens if there is no charging station? Also I think they have a 4 hour charge cycle which if not completed damages the battery, not sure how accurate that is but do you really wanna risk it?