Helmet lifespan?????

Guest Big H

Guest Big H

In a recent Buycycling magazine they state in an article that helmets nust be repalce after three years of use. I cannot rember reading any of this in the Giro literature or hearing any of this before. Is this a cheap sales gimmick to push up helmet sales. I do realise that helmets are subject to extreme UV abuse and that plastic will dry out, fade and become brittle with time. Could they be referring to this. Does anybody have any knowledge on this as I do not want the fancy in mould shell to shatter on impact leagving my brains unprotected.

I want a new helmet after 3 years anyway ! But it sound about right . But if you ride as often as EWEP than 10 years should do it .

I want a new helmet after 3 years anyway ! But it sound about right . But if you ride as often as EWEP than 10 years should do it .

Ai DR, you're SOOOOOO wrong.  My helmet lasts about 9 year, 2 months, 22 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 25 seconds.  So PLEASE, get your maer @SS off that chair and get your FACTS right OK!!!

... as I do not want the fancy in mould shell to shatter on impact ...
That is exactly what they are designed to do but in a manner which absorbs the force of the impact.

It is not the first time that I've heard of this 3 year thing but I guess that it is related to usage and UV exposure too.

Interesting question.  My opinion in this matter is that there is no reason to replace a helmet after three years (as long as it has not been involved in a crash, obviously).  The reasoning is as follows:  the foam is mostly not directly exposed to UV light, which is the only possible source of initiating breakdown.  It does not matter if the outer plastic degrades, as this contributes nothing to the impact resistance of the helmet.  Furthermore, the additives that guard against the onset of UV degradation should be effective for a period of at least 10 years.  So, in my opnion, the three year replacement theory is a sales gimmick.

Guest Big H

ewep stap sommer na sy kantoor toe en gee hom 'n pak slae asseblief!!!!!!

Guest Big H

Ok should have  read .... shatter prematurely.... prematurely like Kritzi always is (not shattering)!!!!!!!!

ewep stap sommer na sy kantoor toe en gee hom 'n pak slae asseblief!!!!!!

Ai oom H, ek dink ek gaan hom seerder maak as ek oor hom rol!

Ok should have  read .... shatter prematurely.... prematurely like Kritzi always is (not shattering)!!!!!!!!

Could not help myself its all your wifes fault!

Guest Big H

Ek sal op hom sit dan kan jy hom skop. As ek nie sy ribbes breek met die sit nie sal jy dit doen met die skop!!!!!!!! OPPAS VUILRYER !!!!!!as jy met een Artilleris sukkel sukkel jy met al die Artilleriste!!!!!.

Ag nee, nou's die gunners hier ok!

Darem seker nie cloud punchers nie? of hoe

Groete

casspir

casspir2007-03-22 04:17:50

Guest Big H

Casspir.... daai ouens sit in die Kaap en net as gevolg daarvan kon hulle nooit niks wat sense is geleer het nie!!!!!!! Hulle DINK net hulle is Gunners!!!!!! maar hulle speel eintlik Guy Fawkes!!!!!

Interesting question.  My opinion in this matter is that there is no reason to replace a helmet after three years (as long as it has not been involved in a crash' date=' obviously).  The reasoning is as follows:  the foam is mostly not directly exposed to UV light, which is the only possible source of initiating breakdown.  It does not matter if the outer plastic degrades, as this contributes nothing to the impact resistance of the helmet.  Furthermore, the additives that guard against the onset of UV degradation should be effective for a period of at least 10 years.  So, in my opnion, the three year replacement theory is a sales gimmick.

[/quote']

absolute BS and dangerous advise!Angry

Helmets are styrofoam with a thin PET or PBS shell. These shells are not very good at blocking out UV rays. these plastics have to be specificaly coated to prevent UVA and or UVB penetration.

Also the shell does contribute to impact absorption because it holds the styrofoam in place for the maximum possible time during an impact. Without is the helmet would shatter.leaving nothing to stop your head hitting the ground.

Secondly, a helmet is not only exposed to UV but also temperature. Temperrature changes the structure of the styrofoam over time to the point where it may feel firm but has little impact absorption.

HElmets are exposed to hydrocarbons - diesel on the road splashed onto the helmet on wet days - as well as detergents and other chemicals like your sweat.

All of these contribute to degrading the styrofoam over time.

3yrs is an absolute maximum in our Southern African climate for a lifespan of a helmet.

Guest Big H

Thanx Lefty...... own knowledge or research knowledge?????? Just to make sure, as I will then be buying a new one when we get to RSA. Is that three years worth of wear use or three calender years???? After M fell on her head during our tandem prang I do not want to play around with her, and my safety. Maybe I will put the helmet under the cars wheel and claim under their chrash replacement policy/warranty!!!!!

If M fell and hit her helmet, I'd replace it regardless, not something you want to mess with - my 2c worth.