Monster - Massive disappointment valid?

Borriz

The monster is a race for mtb'ers ' date=' not woozies ![/quote']

and definitly no roadies Wink

Totally agree Clap It was tough, but better then riding long boring district road!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1st cycle race ever' date=' did the 45. When they said it would be tough I still didn't picture the endless kilometres of jagged rocks on ridiculous gradients that we encountered. Made it home in a decent time though and really enjoyed it except for the problems that have already been mentioned above.

Best part was the announcer reminding us not to take the left fork to the 75 because "we would die". He may have been right.[/quote']

Bit tougher than tennis, hey Tim? Wink

Yeah, was never much good at tennis anyway.

Gavin, 

'more difficult than any day at the Epic.' - The Monster is a tough race, but the day is over in less than 5 hours. This year on day 1, the Groenlandberg torture fest, half of the field was still out there after more than 8 hours on the bike, to not even speak of the Swellendam stage the year before that. Though, as with anything, it probably depends on hard that guy was riding.

I certainly enjoyed the Monster a lot. The climbs were nicely technical and there wasn't a lot of congestion. Did anybody see if anyone managed to ride the downhill section between the top of the offroad part of the Breedsnek climb and the part where it links with the dirt road? The piece with the big step downs and gnarl?

I agree with Dukeblue. Definitely not more difficult than a day at the Epic. In fact.

Didn't see anyone go down those steps.  The again I didn't see Gregg Minaar at the start - so someone might have been brave or technically able to do it. Would pay a pritty dollar to see someone do that though!

I really love the climb up Breedts - expected it to go for longer and enjoyed the rock face sections to the grass and loose rocks.

As I said I just wished they informed us of the only water point at 11km. I was finished with my energy drink at the bottom of the climb (at about 1.5hrs) and that stuffed my day up 6 love.

Tried to go down there 2 years ago . Still got the scar to prove it .

are those the "steps" that are rocks held together with wire? did a couple of them during the quest, but it was starting to freak nancy out. 

Same ones . Me and Flash also did the last few at the quest but only because of the mist we could not see them !

Its not called the monster for nothing.

You have to tame that monster.

Other than a gate still being locked it was a great race. The water-points were almost as I remember them last year.

The grass was cut as last year.

Its a hard race but the name gives that away.

The few course changes that were made, were for the better

Was my 1st Monster. I did the 75km and it was extremely tough (for me). I was happy to be on a soft -tail. I thought the route marking was pretty good all the way and the route was rideable (99% of it) but tough & technical. All the water points I got to still had liquids so I can't complain there.

I think not having fully gotten over a bout of flu the week before made it tougher (my excuse & I'm sticking with it).

I am tempted to start topic 361 with the word "monster" in it but I'll resist.

In a word for me this race was cr@p. Yes I am a softie so no need to tell me how it's for real mountainbikers. I must be a fake one, if I am not all for the hike a bike portions of this race. I think this was the first time I've actually wished for a lighter bike....just after the river crossing and that "put my bike on my back" hill.

Respect to the DCM oke, he passed me and I was expecting other 75km riders to come past, but it took the next one 20 minutes. Yolande Speedy....a word WOW...6th overall!!! Impressive, flew past me just by the fence almost at the end of the race and I only hope that in 30yrs time I can ride like that! Well done to Brett, the mountain goat hubber smiley17.gif for coming 2nd!

Glad some people enjoyed it, but I for instance have put this race on the never again list.

I honestly can't believe how every one is bleating about this race. It is called the monster for a reason. But judging by the demand for entries, this is exactly what a large portion of the MTB community want.

I must agree about Bryce Munro from DCM, he is a real super star in the making and like Yolande Speedy, such a nice modest person.   

Second and last time doing the monster. OK, maybe if I get a dual-suspension I'll reconsider. I ride for fun these days and I still haven't been able to crack a smile since Saturday. The 'tough-owens' can have this one.

I honestly can't believe how every one is bleating about this race. It is called the monster for a reason. But judging by the demand for entries' date=' this is exactly what a large portion of the MTB community want.

I must agree about Bryce Munro from DCM, he is a real super star in the making and like Yolande Speedy, such a nice modest person.    [/quote']

wasn't he supposed to be racing in england this weekend?