disc alignment

rock

why is it that every time I set up front brake caliper so its 100% drag free (avid juicy) and then take off the front wheel and re-fit it - iot rubs again.......

variances in skewer tension seem to affect how and where it rubs but never been able to re-intsall without rubbing ?

Guest Big H

Try the following metod. Install the skewer lossely with the lever in the locked postion. Start tightening the nit and the lever will start lifting as the tension increases. Check regularly untill you reach the desired tension for your wheel. Note the angle of the skewer lever. Follow this procedure every time you tighten your skewers and the skewer tension will stay the same. I have never tried it as the Hope disks does not have the problem. I read this somewhere but cannot remember where. Worth a try but report back please.

ja never had it before.....the back by the way gives no problem.......

will try...

Uhm - hey Rock & Big H...

Probably not the same problem - but just to let me have an 'out' for my frustration - the same thing happens with my wheels (mostly back) and my v-brakes...

Most irritating.

No - infuriating, rather.... Angry

Guest Big H

Place the wheels on the ground release the QR lever before you firmly tighten the quick release lever again. Even minute possiblities of the axle not seated properly in the dropouts will cause problems of V-brakes binding.

Guest Big H

Alse set your V-brakes so the spring tension is at the lightest possible adjustment. This will mean that the V-brake binding effect is negligeable. Also make sure both springs is bent at the same tension by unhooking the springs and ensuring the angle of both springs are the same. There must be just enough tension to return the brake pad to "neutral"

Thanks Big H - must say I'm getting better at it - no longer such a big issue as what it was...

Quite cool to see how quickly one starts picking up things once you start fiddling.

I cannot actually BELIEVE I'm going to say this on the forum, but d'ya know that the first 20/30 times I took my front wheel off, to get it in the car [yes Rock - seems like a need a new bike rack too Wink], I didn't know about the quick-release thingy on the v-brake... Couldn't figure out how you get the wheel out since the brakes were always in the way... So I simply assumed that was how it was done [which largely defeats the purpose of having QUICK-RELEASE(!!!) skewers on the wheel in the first place], and each and every time - I physically removed the brakes (using my new multi-tool), as in off, from the bike... left them dangling to one side on their cables...

Can you believe that? No-one ever told me about the qr on the brakes, because everyone assumes a newbie would notice it. Well I didn't... ErmmLOL

On the plus side - I did get to figure out how my v-brakes worked. Often they would come apart in the process of my removing them - and putting them back together gives you a pretty good idea about how the things work...

Oh and Rock - I've been a saving... will be getting that new wheelset soon!!!

I didn't know about the quick-release thingy on the v-brake... Couldn't figure out how you get the wheel out since the brakes were always in the way... So I simply assumed that was how it was done [which largely defeats the purpose of having QUICK-RELEASE(!!!) skewers on the wheel in the first place]' date=' and each and every time - I physically removed the brakes (using my new multi-tool), as in off, from the bike... left them dangling to one side on their cables...

[/quote']

LOL O shiiiit sorry for laughing bit that is flippin silly...Wink

Guest Big H

Many many many moons ago I phoned the LBS and shat them out for selling me a bike with QR wheels that I could not get off!!!!!! It even happened to me as well...... maar aangaande leert men!!!!!!

I cannot actually BELIEVE I'm going to say this on the forum' date=' but d'ya know that the first 20/30 times I took my front wheel off, to get it in the car [yes Rock - seems like a need a new bike rack too Wink], I didn't know about the quick-release thingy on the v-brake... Couldn't figure out how you get the wheel out since the brakes were always in the way... So I simply assumed that was how it was done [which largely defeats the purpose of having QUICK-RELEASE(!!!) skewers on the wheel in the first place], and each and every time - I physically removed the brakes (using my new multi-tool), as in off, from the bike... left them dangling to one side on their cables...

LOL

Sorry

Big%20smileLOLTongue

I know, I know...

Glad I could make some of you have a good giggle.

I sometimes really do my best to live up to my sobriquet of the 'absent-minded professor...'

That being said - you live, you learn.

Now, if only I can get myself to stop looking at what the time is while I'm holding a cup of coffee...