Lactate threshold test

When is it the best time to do a Lactate threshold test? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Totally unfit

Fit

Super Fit

I know you can do a test every 4 to 6 weeks.  Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for such test?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find a good time to do it is when you're angry at the world and feel like holding something down and kicking it until it stops moving?

MAds,

the best lactate threashold test is as follows:

RACE a flat 10km running race at full pace.  (with heart rate monitor).  Take the average for the last 5km/20 minutes.  THis is your lactate threashold.

Obviously it woun't work on a bike (freewheeling), and on a down hill.

THe logic being that the threashold is the highest HR that you can sustain for a long period of time ie 20 minutes plus. Running gives the best constant effort of all exercises (no rest) and provides a more consistent HR average.

Do no more than once a month though.

Madelain. Your lactate threshold doesn't change whether your fit or not. However, the fitter you are the longer you can hold it at that point without tiring. You of course will also be faster and stronger the fitter you are.

So if you want to suffer do it when you're really unfit.

I would say for a first test you will pay about R400.

But then so have you.......

Seriously the body can be trained to sustain higher heart rates.  But note, this requires taste blood, puke on the track, interval training at least once a week.

Also long slow runs/rides makes the body more efficient thus enabling you to go faster at a slower heart rate.

So LSD's (not the drugs) and interval/hill training should be a part of any training programme

By how much TT ??

(OK I am probably wrong to say it doesn't change at all but it will never change very much. and yes, the fitter you get and under correct training you can take you max HR higher as well but it doesn't change your actually max HR really...your body can just deal with it a lot better)

Wonder Woman2007-03-22 08:26:14

From what I understand Lactate threshold can definitely be trained...

Also as I understand it there is probably a mental aspect to lactate threshold aswell, since its basically can come down to how much pain you can withstand... so perhaps a novice cyclist who isn't used to enduring large amounts of discomfort at a high intensity will not be able to ride at their true physiological lactate threshold cause they are mentally unwilling to endure that kind of pain...

If that makes sense Big%20smile

Ooh goody, I've now found something else I can do some studying up on!!

If I remember I'll report back and let you guys know what I find...

Okay, here is the take that I have:

Your Max heart rate is slowly declining as you get older.  Your LT is about 80-90% of MaxHR.  So there is room for improvement in your LT not your MAx HR.  A unfit person will sit at about 75% of Max HR where a Fit person you does tonnes of interval training can acheive over 90%.

Muscle efficiency is even more important.  some atheletics can oxygenate their muscles better than others, and therefore go faster at a lower HR.  This is ala LA.  So before you try and train your body to operate at the LT, first get it to be efficient.  LSD before speed work.

Okay' date=' here is the take that I have:

Muscle efficiency is even more important.  some atheletics can oxygenate their muscles better than others, and therefore go faster at a lower HR.  This is ala LA.  So before you try and train your body to operate at the LT, first get it to be efficient.  LSD before speed work.
[/quote']

I definitely agree with you there KonaThumbs%20Up