SRAM STI's with Shimano Derailleurs

bruce

Does anyone know if I can use SRAM shifters with Shimano derailleurs?  I am building up a training bike and don't want to have different shifters on the two bikes.

Something I found while searching... hope this helps

Question:
Are Sram Groups (Force & Rival) compatible with other systems on the market?

Answer:
SRAM Exact Actuation components are compatible with the most prevalent, high quality 10-speed chains, cassettes, double crank sets and chainrings available in the market today. Force and Rival front shifters/derailleurs are designed together and cannot be mixed with other FD/SLs on the market. Force and Rival brake pads & cartridges are also interchangeable with Shimano D/a-10 compatible pads & cartridges.

No! SRAM is complety different technology.

I understand that the way they index is totally different, but since the indexing is done in the lever and not at the derailler, all that matters is that the cable is pulled the correct distance between the gears and the derailleur merely moves that distance.  Surely the derailleur doesn't care how the lever actually pulls the cable?

Guest Big H

Bruce is this MTB or Road?????? You can use the MTB shifters with Shimano Derrs....Just make sure you buy the double actuating shifters..... not the normal single click SRAM.

What baffles me though..... why on earth do you want to do it??????..... Shimano is far more superior and reputable than SRAM could ever want to be MTB or Road!!!!!Evil%20Smile
Big H2007-03-25 13:39:10

oom h met alle respek en broederlike liefde. ek sal veel eerder sram gebruik as shimano. ek het tans shimano op my fietse, maar die nuwe giant gaan campy kry, en die gary wil ek vol sram maak. alles van shimano begin of het reeds gebreek.

but back to the question, no you cant thanks to the pull ratio. rather make it full sram, to be sure you will always shift. or rather go single speed :-)

Guest Big H

Dit is omdat jy dit nie oppas nie. Dieselfde sal met die ander goetters gebeur!!!!!!

Guest Big H

At least if it will work perfectly AND he uses Shimano he has upgraded his groupset..... even if he uses Tiagra or Deore...... not sure if he is talking road or Mtb yet.

Okay, I should have been clearer - this is for the road.

Big H, actually I am planning to replace Shimano shifters with SRAM ones on my training bike - now that I am used to the SRAM shifting mechanism I find it better than the Shimano one. Evil%20Smile

• 2 weeks later...
Dit is omdat jy dit nie oppas nie. Dieselfde sal met die ander goetters gebeur!!!!!!

Oom H hoe ken oom ons Marais gesin.  Fiets kom eerste en dan die res...  Ek dink my fiets se service intervals is beter as my motor sin. 

Dit lyk my of die SRAM goeters net so bietjie beter hou.  Meer of dit gemaak is om te werk in Arika.  Nie soos shimano wat goed werk in Europa nie.  Maar ek kan verkeerd wees.

Ek het nou op my shimano STI op die giant 'n probleem gekry dat hy nie eens wil wissel nie.  Ek het al baie slips gemis (van trokke) omdat die ratte nie wil wissel nie. 

My Gary het nou met dieselfde begin.  Dit voel letterlik of die rat wissellaar nie die kabel trek nie.  En ek saldie voor Donderdag aand se D&D moet regmaak anders gaat ek my stert af moet hardloop.

Guest Big H

Check jou kabels of hulle nie olie nodig het nie. Kyk ook of die gear change paddles nie met jou grips interfere nie. Ek het dit al baie sien gebeur.