My Favourite road

EdoardoBianchi

My favourite road/track<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Was riding yesterday on the toll-road between Harties and Pta with a massive headwind and hated every moment of it. Got me thinking of my favourite section of road. Kinda hard to pin it down, but here goes?

Road: Nelmapius road in Centurion where it passes through the dip just before the dairy farm. Love the old oak trees, the mist rising from the stream and the early morning smells (mostly cattle excretions, but let?s not get into that?). The bad surface gives it a bit of a <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Roubaix feel. Best experienced between 05:00 & 06:00 in the morning.

Gravel road: Swartberg Pass direction Prince Albert -> Oudtshoorn. The view from the [false] top back over the hairpins is fantastic, especially when you know you?ve earned it.

20070326_105238_100_6317a.JPG

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second the Nellmapius call.

The top of Klapperkop at sunrise is also quite awesome, Pta is not bad looking when few others are awake

One of the most awesome places around here is the top of "Windpompie"

... a mtb route that takes you up to an old, broken 'windpomp'. At dusk it is the most beautiful sight with mountains all around, some farms way under you and the town and dam in the distance.

One of the most awesome places to ride is the short section of paving from our complex gate to my front door after a loooong ride on a Sunday morning.Wink

And where is Windpompie?

One of the best in SA must be Bloukrans.

On an MTB... anywhere your front wheel takes you!?

I'd go with the 4passes route in the Western Cape... Been riding it for a few years now and still feels like the first time everytime i do it.

i agree 4 Passes is fantastic , haven't done it for a few years now , how is the traffic nowadays?

Robinson's pass on the way to Oudtshoorn  in the Western Cape on a cool morning with water running down on the sides, the smell of fynbos and proteas mmmmmmmmmmmm, 12km of climbing aaahhhhhhhhhhh. OK im stopping before this goes to far. Oh and Bienkie my Bianchi harikaraaaaaambaaaa!!!!!!.

helshoogte(stellenbosch), franschhoek pass, another one at grabouw (dono the name) and then sir lowry's pass.

traffic not too bad,except sometimes at somerset-west and that narrow road through pniel.

grosjoster2007-03-26 14:16:11

Just started MTB'ing Thumbs%20Up and right now my favourite road is Ezelfontein. On the roadbike I like Swaarmoed pass right to the end of the tarr road, no cars and no taxis. Just trees and mountains.

And where is Windpompie?

WorcesterBig%20smile

Oh...and on the road bike i have to agree with Klappit - Swaarmoed is my favourite too!Smile