New Agilis crank and SABB from Rotor

Ivanb

Richard Beswick tells me he had fantastic riding this weekend with the new SABB (self aligning BB) and the adjustable Agilis crankset.

The BB keeps the bearings parallel when the crank arms and axle move on pedalling see   http://www.rotorbike.com/2006/sabb.htm

This extends the life of the BB to over 5 times. They are ceramic upgradable. Stops squeaking BB and revives frames where the BB threads are rounded.

The adjustable Agilis cranks are adjustable so that there is perfect presure on the Bearing cups to stop drag and improve rolling resistance. They are machine from one piece of aluminum and provide exceptional stiffness and lightness.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... revives frames where the BB threads are rounded...

Huh, how does that work exactly?

The bearing are housed in a ball and socket type casing so as the axle moves in one direction the bb moves with it keeping the left and right side parallel.

the web shows  great graphic simulation

the cranka when fitted if it puts to much pressure on teeh bearing case then there is adjustmnet to lengthen the axle slightly and vice versa

No I mean the rounded BB threads bit? Surely the only way to sort that out is by giving it a bit of a face and chase?

by rethreading the rounded threads often the threads are in the wrong position due ot no starting point on the rethread. So we put a bit of loctite on the thread,  turn in the SABB casing and then when the bearings need to be changed they just pop out. No need to change the whole BB.

Guest Big H

What stops the bearing from falling out ie slipping past the extremes shown on the graphic. Does it "choke" itself on the designed geometry. What about energy lost due to the give!!!????

The design stops them falling out. The graphic is exagerated, also teeh crank is there. The energy is actually saved and the rolling resistance reduced because the bearing always runs parallel.

All axles bend when pressure is applied so you can imagine when pressure is on the left crank the axle touches the bottom of the left si de bearing and the top of the right side. Now they move with the axle and stay parallel.

Its more about the life of the BB pro's do about 2000km on a bb now 5 x times that! With ceramic bearings who knows!! forever?

Will have ceramicspeed bearing next month

Hey Ivanb, how much would it cost to upgrade a Zipps to ceramic bearings +-?

And, any news on the Cyclocross yet?

Guest Big H

Cool design. I assume the outer cup surfaces of the bearing where it rests on the feux threaded cups are well lubricated and sealed to the environment ?????

Yeah, I'm afraid that water will get in and it will start creaking and you will have to take it out clean it and refit, regardless of how well sealed it is, besides your BB cup is supposed to be drilled to let water out anyway.

Guest Big H

One day when I can get a better crankset than my Shimano Hollowcrank I tandemset I will definitely upgrade to these BB's. The Hollowcrank still has the internal bearings. The bending of the axle is even more acentuated on a tandem due to the bigger energy exerted.

Bearing are well sealed but like everything nothing is fool proof.

Cyclocross hope to have final info this week. Have a meeting tonite I hope with CGC

SABB (metal bearings)will retail approx R850.00 and the Agilis cranks at R2500.00

Ceramic upgrade maybe R1200.00

the red's pretty Embarrassed

whats shimano cups going for - think I saw em on CRC for R370 + post+ vat.