Nerve intrapment / pinch causing leg pain ?

ASTANA

I'm Confused and Angry and feel Dead.

I've been through the lot - from ITB to xrays and MRI on the knee / side pain I am feeling on both legs from cycling. Its ever sore now, when I'm not training.

Been to all the "clever people", but first need to get rid of the pain and then start training again after a bike fit at J.swart.

Problem now is to be pain/sensitive free without training.

The feeling is a stabbing pain on the area around the Fibula head on the lower leg and then stiffness and pain after the ride on the back of the knee and also stiffness pain on the upper calf - on the outsides.

Was wondering if lower back can cause this and if so, how do one fix this. Lets say its a nerve being pinched - how do you release this ?

Am working with a Orthopedic and Biokinetics / fisio.

Been a while now and still no real clue what it can be. My best guess is that the Common peronial nerve is intraped somewhere or maby even from the lower back.

Never had real bad backpain, but sometimes to, but the legs are always sore.

Any ideas ? Seeing a Neorologist in a wees time.

The last option to detect this is a CT scan, but dont really like the idea of being injected with radioactive iodine into be bloodstream.

Ouch I'm in Stellenbosch/Summerset area.

Dead

Have you been to a chiropractor? Your body could be out of wack then non of the other stuff will work.

Have you been to a chiropractor? Your body could be out of wack then non of the other stuff will work.

Cardiopractors are just weird. Been to one before, but no luck. What is that glass thing with the powder the turn in their hands over your body / pain area ?

Don't know man, these guys are weird, but yes I should maby just go for "alignment" and see what pops in and if any pain is gone

Cardiopractors are just weird. Been to one before' date=' but no luck. What is that glass thing with the powder the turn in their hands over your body / pain area ?Don't know man, these guys are weird, but yes I should maby just go for "alignment" and see what pops in and if any pain is gone[/quote']

mine is not weird. She saw I was out and then pulled here and there (no where near I would have liked smiley2.gif), put some shocking pads on and it was over.

I know a great physio but he is is Tokai, I would trust my life to this guy he is that good. PM me if you want his details.

You need to see a neurosurgeon or neurologist as soon as possible.

Pain and numbness in the legs can easily come from a pinched nerve in the lumbar spine - you will need to have an MRI scan to see this for cetain, but neurosurgeons can do tests that will pretty much be conclusive, the MRI is just for final analysis.

Ask me, I know, I had pretty much the same thing but in the cervical spine which effected my arms - (lumbar spine = legs - cervical spine = arms.).

Sometimes traction can help, but go see the neurologist urgently and get an informed opinion, DONT go to a chiropracter or have any kind of manipulation of your spine until you clear it with a neuro - you could easily do more damage.

No offense to chiropracters and this is in jest, but I have this bumper sticker on my car -

Whats the biggest cause of spinal injury. ?

Rugby.!

Whats the second biggest cause of spinal injury.?

Chiropracters.!Big%20smile

porky2009-06-11 04:20:08

I've been through the lot - from ITB to xrays and MRI on the knee / side pain I am feeling on both legs from cycling. Its ever sore now' date=' when I'm not training.

Been to all the "clever people", but first need to get rid of the pain and then start training again after a bike fit at J.swart.

The feeling is a stabbing pain on the area around the Fibula head on the lower leg and then stiffness and pain after the ride on the back of the knee and also stiffness pain on the upper calf - on the outsides.

Was wondering if lower back can cause this and if so, how do one fix this. Lets say its a nerve being pinched - how do you release this ?

Been a while now and still no real clue what it can be. My best guess is that the Common peronial nerve is intraped somewhere or maby even from the lower back.

The last option to detect this is a CT scan, but dont really like the idea of being injected with radioactive iodine into be bloodstream.

Dead [/quote']

Astana, I have exactly the same problem.

In 2006 my saddle pillar bolt snapped and I fell on my ass. Had a herniation of the spinal cord. The swelling was causing the nerve to push angainst one of the discs. Imense pain in my thighes.

Only after a lumbar brreak/punch and cortisone epidural did the pain go away. It lasted for about 3 years and started playing up again two weeks ago. Last thursday I had the lumbar and epidural done again with 3 ml's cortisone. It is getting better but didnt fix it as fast as it did the first time.

Ask your ortho to book you in with a good aneathatist and have it done.

hahahahahahaha

i had this...gt my back fixed and havent had a problem since.....

i take it as tho u r a GP???

i would say more...

hahaha

I also have pain in my hip area, outside of carve . Currently seeing a Fisio but no improvement yet. We also suspect it's pinched nerve. Traction not succesfull. Will go for another two sesions and then look for another solution.

Next step: Neurologist

I've been through the lot - from ITB to xrays and MRI on the knee / side pain I am feeling on both legs from cycling. Its ever sore now' date=' when I'm not training.

Dead [/quote']

Astana, I have exactly the same problem.

In 2006 my saddle pillar bolt snapped and I fell on my ass. Had a herniation of the spinal cord. The swelling was causing the nerve to push angainst one of the discs. Imense pain in my thighes.

Only after a lumbar brreak/punch and cortisone epidural did the pain go away. It lasted for about 3 years and started playing up again two weeks ago. Last thursday I had the lumbar and epidural done again with 3 ml's cortisone. It is getting better but didnt fix it as fast as it did the first time.

Ask your ortho to book you in with a good aneathatist and have it done.

I did not fall or hurt anything. This just happened while cycling last year. Started to feel this stabbing pain on the side off my knee where the fibula head is and could not continue. after a day it was better and I was out there again. then some time later had it again an later it moved over and was worse on the left leg.

Now its so bad - it never goes away and I stopped training / riding now for more than a month. still the pain is getting worse.

I could run, with no pain, but this week running also triggered this.

Will see the Nero guy in a weeks time and listen to what his findings are

I did not fall or hurt anything. This just happened while cycling last year. Started to feel this stabbing pain on the side off my knee where the fibula head is and could not continue. after a day it was better and I was out there again. then some time later had it again an later it moved over and was worse on the left leg.

Now its so bad - it never goes away and I stopped training / riding now for more than a month. still the pain is getting worse.

I could run' date=' with no pain, but this week running also triggered this.

[/quote']

That sounds like a ligament propblem from the area that you are describing.

I could run' date=' with no pain, but this week running also triggered this.

[/quote']

That sounds like a ligament propblem from the area that you are describing.

NO ligament problem no Tendon problem - the MRI of the knee and the fibula head is clean - "very nice knee" also the Xrays show a very nice normal perfect knee.

Weird hey ? Confused

Firstly you need to establish what triggered the onset of the condition. Was it cycling and if so, what was your frequency/intensity of training. Can you establish any correlation between cycling effort and condition deterioration. If so, then you have a fitting issue and this needs to be rectified. I'd strongly suggest you contact Petie Viljoen at Helderberg Cycles - he is a qualified Specialized BG Fit technician and is comfortably as equipped as anyone to deal with this. Perhaps call him and have a chat.

It can definately be a lower back problem. If the cuschion between L4 - L5 or L5 - S1 is damaged it can pinch the nerves running into your legs. This can happen without any 'incident' taking place. MRI will definately show it.

If that is the problem go see dr Hanhle at Linksfield. He replaced L5 S1 with an artificial disc and less than 1 year later I did Sani2C and can do anything I did before.

It can definately be a lower back problem. If the cuschion between L4 - L5 or L5 - S1 is damaged it can pinch the nerves running into your legs. This can happen without any 'incident' taking place. MRI will definately show it.

If that is the problem go see dr Hanhle at Linksfield. He replaced L5 S1 with an artificial disc and less than 1 year later I did Sani2C and can do anything I did before.

Thanx tryboy. Yeah im 23 so hope not to have a operation on this setup. I might just have overused this a bit or something.

Does the Nerve L5 relate to the cushion in the back L4 - L5 ? Read somewhere that the L5 nerve in the lower leg - from the common peronial nerve give sensation / feel to the outer calf / lateral calf area. and this is where some pain is felt, also around the fibula head where the common peronial nerve run and also some on the back of the knee/ lower part of hamstrings.

Thanx again - will have it checked out