cadence

Where ever you feel comfortable. 90-110 being optimal. But trying to keep that sort of cadnece during a race is not always possible. The moment you find yourself to be labouring, cadence is the last thing you think about.

I once heard/read somewhere that:

if your legs are taking strain, spin more (higher cadence);

if your lungs are taking strain, grind higher gears (lower cadence).

Therefore, your heart rate should determine what cadence to ride.

Self selected cadence has been shown to give best results - forget about it and ride where it works for you.

Self selected cadence has been shown to give best results - forget about it and ride where it works for you.

Exactly what I said....try to say...ConfusedLOL

thanks guys.its normally about 90-100 in training and idont worry to much when racing.more worried about hanging on the wheel infront of me

I once heard/read somewhere that:

if your legs are taking strain' date=' spin more (higher cadence);

if your lungs are taking strain, grind higher gears (lower cadence).

Therefore, your heart rate should determine what cadence to ride.
[/quote']

So smokers should have a lower cadence? Wink

What I notice is that when I race my cadence shoots up to over 120 most of the time for long periods. Although I normally train at over 100. I guess this shows that I am not training as hard as what the race is like?

Fanie in answer to your question, as a smoker who is really trying to give it up, (no cigs for 3 days now) smokers definately do have a lower cadence. The more I am enjoying my cycling the more I find out exactly how the smoking affects me, most of the time my legs are fine but my lungs are screaming and grinding higher gears with bad lungs does not help at all.