Clicking sound when pedalling

IanC

Hope any one can help me.

I have a clicking sound when pedalling.

I have replace the pedals as adviced by a bike shop.

The cranks had been re torqued.

What else can it be?

Thanks

Ian

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had same problem, the bike shop traced it to my saddle. They greased it and tightened it, problem solved.

can be the following:

1.  the cleat on the shoe that is not on properly resulting in the click between shoe and pedal.

2.  the front derailler being scew an "clipping" the crank on each pedal stroke.

3.  THe bb that is on its way out.  with the crank moving l-r as you pedal resulting in the chain rubbing on the derailler.

The first test is to see what play is between the shoe and the pedal.

the second you need to measure the clearance between your derailler and pedal

the third you need to identify what wobble or play there is on your cranks.  (there should be none.)

Had a click.

Go and have a look at the rear d?railleur hanger.  If the screws are loose, it will click...

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem and its driving me nuts .... I get the "click" at exactly the same position and it sounds like its coming from my right pedal. I inspected the pedal yesterday and cannot find anything wrong.

Will check alignment of front derailleur - I did set it last week and the click has gotten louder.

Will also check the saddle.

Guest Agteros

You guys sure the click is from the bike? It might be a clicky-ity rickity ankle...

Remove pedals from crank. Give a good clean and "re-grease" thread nicely. Replace and test.

Had same problem, and this sorted out my problem.

Good Luck

is grease just grease ?

or is grease like lube, different kinds for different situations?

If you re standing while pedalling and the click persists, it is the BB. If not then look at the other seat and frame related options. I replaced a sealed bearing on a MTB many moons ago to cure a click loud enough to sound over the rough terain. Bingo it worked. Just last week cured another irritation with the BB replacement. Cleats are worn, pedals are old, but the BB solved the click.

Best of luck.

I would go with the BB. Even though it will spin smoothly and quietly without any stress it tends to do this if, like somebody else said, it is on it's way out. How far away it from getting there is anybody's guess.

My second one would be the headset. After I replaced mine with sealed bearing I had this annoying click or creaking sound. It took me ages to find but eventually it was just one of the spacers that was 'binding' and at the slightest movement of the bars it would break free with a click.

This had me gng for ages i could leave you hanging, oR i could tell you to strip your peddles and regrease, that was my problem