Advice on planned Training Camp

I need some help here...

Since it'll be a mortal sin to let the Easter holidays go by without taking leave, I've convinced Mrs EB that we need a week[end] in the Lowveld. I'll be taking the road bike along, but how do I do the training camp thing. I am rather far off form at the moment and need to build a sustainable power base. Do I

a) Do long rides incorporating some hills (150+ kms)

b) Do only shorter rides and include one or two climbs only (120kms max)

c) Only take the bike along for bragging rights at Pilgrims?

What do you think?

Well having not even seen your bike I think you are bragging already at 120 Km's being a short ride.

Anyways more info is needed such as does Mrs EB cycle? If not and you are taking leave best you leave the bike at home. Else take the bike with you and do a normal ride which will keep you away from her for only 1 hour of your leave time, I would suggest around a normal short ride for average Joe of 30 Km's.

Just stay in Sabie and ride to Graskop and back on a 53-11... It will feel like 400km's and that should be enough for base and weight and even power training... Smile. Don't say I didn't try and help Wink

Mrs EB is not a cyclist (but understands Wink)

Oh, short in context...some of the guys I've spoken to normally plan 165km rides when they're in the Lowveld. I think I'm ruling that out - (Mrs EB's understanding only goes so far!

I guess I'm afraid that going there and doing a couple of rides will be a wasted effort and of no use during winter.

Best  to plan doing time and not distance.  150 kms might take ages for one an less for another.

Ride from Graskop to Pilgrims and then top of Robbers Pass and then back to Graskop one day. Graskop to Sabie and top of Long Tom return - next day , Graskop to Strydom Tunnel return (via Blyde River Canyon) next day. If one more day ride Graskop to Nelspruit via Sudwala Caves route return. 

Nelspruit UP to Kaapsehoop and back (65-70Km). Going up will take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours, but coming down... 15-20 minutes.

The Grapskop to Nelspruit via Sudwala is just loooonnnggg.

As long as you ride Robbers Pass the bragging right are earned!!

Did they actually build the coke stand at the top as I asked last time I was there? LOL

I'll probably work in a couple of single-big-climb-days going out for max 2.5 hrs using the route outlines you guys have given - thanks!

Kaapsche Hoop is something else, I've forgotten about it...will see if I can make a turn that way (was planning on staying Sabie/Graskop, but it is such a nice settlement, I'm sure Mrs EB will be able to keep herself busy while waiting for me). 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, was planning for the next long weekend (27/05 et al), but I've noticed the Panorama is on and might just crack an entry...

Since I'm not planning on going to the SA's, I think the effort will be wasted though and I'd rather do it in October in prep for the 94.7

Aaaargh, indecision and impending pain...

The Lowveld is not a place for the faint hearted... You K@K, You puke, You sweat, You cry, You hurt, You think of suicide but you most probably already busy killing yourself, You moan and it always feel like you riding to heaven... up, up and up and f%$#!%ing up... I'm hurting right now just thinking of that place... gotta leave this thread now... cheers!

The Lowveld is not a place for the faint hearted... You K@K' date=' You puke, You sweat, You cry, You hurt, You think of suicide but you most probably already busy killing yourself, You moan and it always feel like you riding to heaven... up, up and up and f%$#!%ing up... I'm hurting right now just thinking of that place... gotta leave this thread now... cheers!

[/quote']

I'll second that, did my first ride tonight since Sunday and i can still feel those hills Ouch.

I'll second that' date=' did my first ride tonight since Sunday and i can still feel those hills Ouch. [/quote'] I haven't ridden at all Embarrassed... under strict orders... maybe I'll hit a 4km ride on Sat... a nice LSD for me. I was supposed to leave... cheers SmileJason2007-04-11 14:19:16